JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been pondering the path for future PMFs... Does it kill real PMFs? Will it be possible to serialize at a reasonable point in the mfg. process?
When I say real PMF, I mean from a block of alloy.
"Technically", it sure seems like it. At some point in the build process it becomes a "firearm" and possession without a SN would be illegal. MFG's are allowed a certain amount of time to serialize a newly mfg'ed firearm, but HB2005 doesn't appear to have any provision for that. So far as I know.

It's easily argued too that even if you do take it in to be serialized after completion, you may be self incriminating by documenting you were in possession of an illegal PMF.

Will the powers that be look the other way for newly created PMF's so long as they are serialized within a "reasonable" amount of time and demonstrating diligent effort to satisfy the law? That's guesswork. It certainly seems reasonable they should, but there isn't anything that I'm aware of that a person could rely on for a legal defense if they chose to jam a person up for it.

MFG's are allowed a certain amount of time to serialize a newly mfg'ed firearm, but HB2005 doesn't appear to have any provision for that. So far as I'm aware.
How I interpret it is personally made firearms dont have any time to serialize it, the build process is illegal itself after Sept.

...and I cant imagine any FFL will offer their serialization service after that point, considering they have to keep a record.

I have no doubt the powers that be in Oregon will prosecute anyone if caught.

Off the cuff and IMHO.......it doesn't pass the BRUEN test. And, I am NOT a lawyer and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

But LOL......it's not like I have the money to fight the Govt. to prove my point.

Aloha, Mark

Other thoughts- Make as a Form1. It will have a serial # before mfg. and I don't see why an FFL wouldn't engrave it considering it has the proper blessings.

I've been pondering the path for future PMFs... Does it kill real PMFs? Will it be possible to serialize at a reasonable point in the mfg. process?
When I say real PMF, I mean from a block of alloy.
It kills PMFs. An alternative would be to build BP firearms.

Edit: Another alternative would be to incorporate a serialized part of a firearm into your PMF build.

Last Edited:
The Form1 path still exists I do believe.
The law stands on "in accordance to federal law".
When you are approved to build an F1 you are adhering to FL. FL grants the right to mfg, a F1 grants the right to mfg the device in the F1.

IF I'm in the middle of building my F1 can and there's a LEO inquire the F1 paperwork should resolve the issue.

The silly part is having an FFL engrave because the F1 doesn't require an FFL serialization.

Prob a lead ballon if they really want to bring out the ropes , pitchforks and torches.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top