JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So... who wants to lead the fight against this for Oregonians?

We need to find a way to organize a united front against these infringements, however we as group can't even decide where the front lines are. I think we can learn a lot from the I16whatever repel efforts in Washington, they managed to rally a decent showing and probably could do more if they had the time. It's time we all stand together.

I believe that if you throw out some of the scenarios that this IP 17 entails, how it will affect not just AR/AK owners, but owners of hunting rifles like the Browning BAR and the Ruger 10/22, more people would be concerned.

I think that most folks are ignorant to the true effect of these bills, if they new it would outlaw their fathers 10/22 and their grandfathers BAR they would have a different opinion on the subject. However our opposition also knows this, so they have to divert focus to the scary black rifles. I wish I knew the solution or at the least I wish we could organize, but until everyone understands that their property and and their heritage is at risk, I fear we are beating a long dead horse.

I think that most folks are ignorant to the true effect of these bills, if they new it would outlaw their fathers 10/22 and their grandfathers BAR they would have a different opinion on the subject. However our opposition also knows this, so they have to divert focus to the scary black rifles. I wish I knew the solution or at the least I wish we could organize, but until everyone understands that their property and and their heritage is at risk, I fear we are beating a long dead horse.
We should at least attempt to organize. We have a good platform here to use to focus effort, and a wide enough cross section of users that we could certainly cover a lot of social ground.
1. Agree on a bi-weekly meeting place. Alternate between Fridays and Saturdays so that we can increase the likelihood that working folks can make at least one meeting a month.
2. Discuss a tactic. If all we ever do is talk to people at gun shows, gun shops and sporting goods stores, we're not reaching as many folks as we need to, but we do need to make sure those bases are covered as well.
3. Coordinate a leadership group. This way we don't just have volunteers with no one to set guidelines and expectations.

I could go on. Point is, we need to begin to organize, and not just talk about it in hushed tones online.

arakboss was setting something up last year on Reddit.
I know, and the effort was not unnoticed here. The thing is, we need a group that doesn't just work on a year to year basis, or only organize when there is an anti-rights bill on the horizon. We need to be/have a group that is statewide, and meets regarding these issues monthly, year round, every year, even if the pendulum swings in our favor.
It does cost money. It does take time and commitment. It's not always fun or easy. It's time to try harder.

The bill says:
(1 )(a) "Assault weapon" means any:
(A) Semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following:
(i) Any grip of the weapon, including a pistol grip, a thumbhole stock or any other stock, the use of which would allow an individual to grip the weapon, resulting in any finger on the trigger hand in addition to the trigger finger being directly below any portion of the action of the weapon when firing;
(ii) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the nontrigger hand;
(iii) A folding or telescoping stock;
(iv) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel;
(v) A forward pistol grip;
(vi) A flash suppressor, muzzle brake, muzzle compensator, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, muzzle brake, or muzzle compensator;
(vii) A bayonet mount; or
(viii) A grenade launcher or flare launcher;

What kind of semiautomatic rifle doesn't at least have feature (I) a grip or stock that can put the trigger hand directly below the action when firing?

Last Edited:
What kind of semiautomatic rifle doesn't at least have feature (I) any grip, including any stock, that would allow any finger of the trigger had to be directly below any portion of the action of the weapon when firing?

It's an attempt to capture semi-autos like the AR-15 where all your fingers are basically vertical along the leading edge of the grip and "directly under the action". The previous AWB simply said pistol grips, which allowed a work around with thumbhole stocks, etc..

Unfortunately, whoever wrote this only looked at pictures and not schematics. The "fingers directly below the action" definition will capture any semi-autos that have an action return spring tube extending down into the grip/stock area, whether they have a pistol grip or not. Going to surprise a lot of people who think their "good" guns are safe. Your basic Garand action would not be banned under this definition. Ironic isn't it.

Oregon Constitution, ARTICLE I, BILL OF RIGHTS

BTW: it's an absolute outrage that these ballot initiatives are accepted as constitutional in the first place. The words of a constitution mean nothing when they can be twisted and interpreted to mean anything you want.

View attachment 646516
All that table means is that the initiative at hand would affect/amend the Constitution. But yes, you're absolutely correct. If you can modify the Constitution like some piece of Play-doh then what was the purpose of having it?

The bill says:
(1 )(a) "Assault weapon" means any:
(A) Semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following:
(i) Any grip of the weapon, including a pistol grip, a thumbhole stock or any other stock, the use of which would allow an individual to grip the weapon, resulting in any finger on the trigger hand in addition to the trigger finger being directly below any portion of the action of the weapon when firing;
(ii) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the nontrigger hand;
(iii) A folding or telescoping stock;
(iv) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel;
(v) A forward pistol grip;
(vi) A flash suppressor, muzzle brake, muzzle compensator, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, muzzle brake, or muzzle compensator;
(vii) A bayonet mount; or
(viii) A grenade launcher or flare launcher;

What kind of semiautomatic rifle doesn't at least have feature (I) a grip or stock that can put the trigger hand directly below the action when firing?
If you hold your semi auto gangsta style your hand won't be below the action:)
Just mount your red dot on the side of your rail. Right handers be careful of brass flying out of the ejection port. Left handers will have it made.

We should at least attempt to organize. We have a good platform here to use to focus effort, and a wide enough cross section of users that we could certainly cover a lot of social ground.
1. Agree on a bi-weekly meeting place. Alternate between Fridays and Saturdays so that we can increase the likelihood that working folks can make at least one meeting a month.
2. Discuss a tactic. If all we ever do is talk to people at gun shows, gun shops and sporting goods stores, we're not reaching as many folks as we need to, but we do need to make sure those bases are covered as well.
3. Coordinate a leadership group. This way we don't just have volunteers with no one to set guidelines and expectations.

I could go on. Point is, we need to begin to organize, and not just talk about it in hushed tones online.
If you use Facebook search for GGWG Oregon and join up. We have 4000 members and are gaining roughly 100 per week. We have close ties to #TimberUnity and other rights groups.

If last year's results are any indication of what is soon to be, we are in for a bubblegum storm.
Anything dealing with firearms restrictions are going to include rallies of our youth against guns, initiated by the persons responsible for filling our young people who attend public education brainwashing, aka "schooling"! (I'm sure they even get incentives including class credits of some kind). Not that our youth are idiots but they are what they are both repeatedly taught and through pear pressure, over and over! Carl Marx described these types of persons as "useful idiots".
On another note, I am STILL pissed that the whole Multnomah County including those of us who live rural have been denied the enjoyment of target practice safely on our own land! Our formally gun friendly Sherrif's department has even turned against us, pressured by County government traitorous leadership!

Last Edited:
Oregon Ban on Assault Weapons Initiative (2020) - Ballotpedia

Hm. Looks like Initiative 17 got enough signatures last year to appear on the ballot in Oregon this year. Anyone leading the fight against it beyond OFF???

This, and Initiative 8 (constitutional right to own semiauto) as well as Initiative 11 (firearms safety classes in schools with opt out ability) are gonna be dueling intitiatives... hoping 17 gets defeated and 8 gets passed. I would like to see something like Timber Unity but for firearms rights to happen in Oregon....
Join Timber Unity February 6 at the capitol. Many 2A supporters are joining and I've read Timber Unity is amenable to including 2A.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top