JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I picked up one of these units about 4 years ago and it has been spot on plus does fractions. It costs $50, but it is worth all of it.

Screenshot_20220111-115726.png

I have a General electronic digital caliper. I use it for less-than precision work, but it co-witnesses exactly with a quality micrometer. For whatever reason, the battery is always dead after periods of non use. In fairness to the product, I just went out and tried the electronic caliper mentioned, and yep, the battery was completely dead.

I agree, for important/precision work, nothing will replace my micrometer. But more often, a dial indicating or digital caliper is sure a lot quicker.

Last Edited:
I switched from electronic calipers to dial calipers.
Just don't trust electronics, especially when they are all made by little 5 year old Chinese girls.
I bought older used American or German made dial calipers.

You're probably not making missile parts for Raytheon, so a basic digital caliper will do just fine for reloading duties and various other chores.
What I've noticed is that the basic digital calipers all seem to come from the same (overseas) factory.
RCBS
Lyman
Harbor Freight

So it's $20 for the RCBS or $8.00 for the Harbor Freight.

What is the best value in electronic calipers? Keeping in mind you get what you pay for and trying not to contribute to the wanna be world super power!
Well most reloading ones are all the same but vary in price based on the name stuck on it. I broke down and bought a Hornady but that was because I had a gift card (Sportsman WH) to use up. The Frankford arsenal, Hornady, and National Metallic are all the same, the Lyman and rcbs are the same as well. Most likely are all going to be made overseas so unless you want to pony up big time that's a nonstarter. Unless your going to shoot in the olympics or shoot beyond 1,000yds a cheap old harbor freight special will do what ya need. Until I bought this Hornady real recently (haven't even used it) I just used/use a dial type (old fashioned I know) not that hard to read and lock in place for checking purposes. If I wanted to get real picky, I'd just get out all the micrometers out of my rollaway in the shop.

Just get the Frankford or this one.

Mititoyo, Brown and sharpe, Starrett, Fowler.

All great brands and will last you a lifetime. AND you can bet your bubblegum they'll be accurate if you are.

And I will echo the analog (dial caliper) sentiment. These are VERY accurate if you use them appropriately.

I've got both digital and dial of some of the brands mentioned above. Spend a little more now and have peace of mind from here on out.

Averaged out over several years, the higher quality will actually cost you less in the long run.

Mititoyo, Brown and sharpe, Starrett, Fowler.

All great brands and will last you a lifetime. AND you can bet your bubblegum they'll be accurate if you are.

And I will echo the analog (dial caliper) sentiment. These are VERY accurate if you use them appropriately.

I've got both digital and dial of some of the brands mentioned above. Spend a little more now and have peace of mind from here on out.

Averaged out over several years, the higher quality will actually cost you less in the long run.
What he said! ^^^^^^^^^

Mitutoyo are great but there is a brand called insize that I have been buying lately for the guys in my shop.
My personal set though are Starrett but really check out the insize.

Have a Mitu analog and digital. Have Starret analogs. Have worked with Browne and Sharpe many times.
Also have a chinese set that I bought at Napa (I think) many years ago. The chinese set is accurate, but it burns through batteries like crazy, even with an auto-off. The Mitu electronics, despite never turning off by themselves, are still on the same batteries since 2017.
I had an 8" Taiwanese analog calipers. I beat those suckers to hell and back, never used them for "fine" precision though. The needle finally came off the dial after ~25 years.

I picked up one of these units about 4 years ago and it has been spot on plus does fractions. It costs $50, but it is worth all of it.

View attachment 1105326
Another vote for this one...
On YouTube there are people who have channels where they try to do honest comparisons of everything from penetrating oil to work boots, that includes calipers.
If you don't like Amazon, buy them some place else.

$24.99 at Harbor Freight for "Pittsburg" Dial caliper. I don't even remember where I picked up my dial caliper. It says Cen Tech. It must be from my motor cycle wrenching days. I'd never consider having a digital.

$38.00 for a Vernier dial caliper.
https://www.vxb.com/Dial-Vernier-Ca...Dp7WUbf7dWCMekZe3te9vAHiYyqd2VZwaAoM5EALw_wcB

I wonder if that all bearing shown would make a big difference? My old calipers are a little stiff.

Mititoyo, & Starrett are kind of like Honda when it comes to a genset. All others are judged by them. Now for 99% of the public they of course can buy these and they will last them the rest of their life BUT, unless the user takes time to learn how to use them they will mean nothing more than a set that costs a fraction of the cost. Few are going to be working on something they need that kind of accuracy and take the time to use these correctly. ALL electronic are simple to check for consistency. Pick something to use as a standard, and check them now and then. They are not going to jump around if not abused. The button batteries are now very cheap to just order and keep on hand. Mine are used to seldom any more that I normally have to put a new battery in them when I get them out. Just keep a couple spare's in the case with them.

Harbor Freight. :s0093:
If all you're doing is measuring bullets and cases theirs works just fine.
If your battery is always dead try to be more careful when you put the unit away. It's very easy to bump it back on while closing the case lid. :s0092:
Or, you can always take the battery out when not in use. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads