JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am a corded or gas die-hard.
Yeah, I have some Ryobi cordless hand tools.
Based on my experience with corded tools from Milwaukee, Ryobi or Dewalt, I'd be Milwaukee all the way.
My bro has a Milwaukee cordless impact driver. I am amazed at how much torque it provides in such a small form factor.

9mm is better then .45acp

45acp.jpg

Milwaukee guy here. I think for several years recently they had a big lead on the other companies in their rotating power tools, but it appears that the others have perhaps caught up.

But ... I am merely a DIYer and woodworking hobbyist. I don't consider myself a real woodworker, just a power tools woodworker. Most of the things I make are utilitarian, not "fine woodworking" (I do have a blanket chest on my to-do list ... so there! :)).

The most exacting things I have built were certain garage tool cabinets with nesting pegboard doors. That task took some planning and (for me) some precision measuring and cutting to get everything to fit together. "Precision cutting" is relative on a <$300 table saw. :D

But now I'm thinking I overspent on some of those tools (not the table saw). Milwaukee and DeWalt are sometimes termed prosumer (professional/consumer) in some places, and I think they are too expensive for what I need. I'm starting to look at cheaper tools. Maybe Wen or Skil at the low end (both of which have surprisingly good reviews in certain power tools) and Ryobi at the upper end. I also think Kobalt is underrated.

The main thing here is of course once you pick one stay with it so all tools used the same battery. I have to say when these tools got real good it was the best thing since sliced bread. It is SOOOOOOO damn nice to NOT have to use cords. The battery tech has advanced a LOT which is great. When my current gas mower dies I will be buying a battery model. Guy I work with brought in a DeWalt shop vac bit ago that I had no idea they made. Damn little thing worked GREAT. It will run off a cord if needed but uses the same 20 V battery so many other tools use. Its on my short list to buy for me. So damn nice for quick jobs like cleaning out the cars and such.
When you're ready to go cordless on the lawn mower, I recommend the Ego line…. my Honda ICE gave up the ghost two years ago, so I picked up an Ego mower with 7.5ah battery and rapid/smart charger and haven't looked back. Now I have the line trimmer, side-walk trimmer, cultivator, 760-cfm leaf blower, an additional 7.5ah battery, a couple 2.5ah batteries, and a couple 5ah batteries.

Awesome stuff. :s0155:

To many variables, I own both it's a Ford vs. Chevrolet debate, there is not a clear winner.
Just because one manufacturer makes a better cordless drill, does not automatically mean their cordless saw is also superior. And previous generation technology quickly fades as new battery designs are released.
I also own Bosch and if I were still working in construction I would certainly look at Hilti.

Milwaukee.
I have a bunch, my 1st gen 12v ratchet finally gave up and I picked up a Dewalt one as I had a charger and battery for a speaker.
Not strong enough and even with a bigger battery it still runs flat in a short amount of time.
Broke down and got the Milwaukie Insider and took the DW home.
I don't think anyone is using anything else besides Milwaukie at work.
The 12v ones will run all day on one battery, the 18v will go all week.

Long ago I bought Makita 7.2V drills, then jumped up to the 9.6V version. When the 9.6's got old, I tried out Hitachi 14V drills and a hex impact. These were the earlier "stick" type batteries, and were Ni-Cad's, which went dead on their own if not used and charged regularly.

A friend steered me into Milwaukee lithium battery tools, and I started buying them. I got a package with a drill, flashlight, and hex impact that came with a 1.0 battery. I bought a couple of 3.0 batteries and only use the small one for the flashlight. Later, I bought a brushless sawzall and 4-1/2" grinder and got a 9.0 battery to run them. I find that the big battery produces more power for these two tools than the 3.0's do. I use a long demolition blade in the sawzall and keep it in my pickup out in the woods. It will cut a surprisingly large branch/trunk to clear a road! I hardly ever have to break out the chainsaw, and I can use it during fire season.

The Milwaukee batteries don't go flat, so I gutted an old Hitachi battery and used it to modify an Ebay adapter to use the M18 batteries in my Hitachi tools. They work well, and I'll probably keep using them until they die.

Just a heads up. Amazon sells cordless tool battery adapters that let you use one brand of battery and adapt it to another brand.
That way, you can use those older but still chargeable batteries with different devises.
Cheap too, most are under $15.00.

1715463920102.jpeg

1715463964458.jpeg

Mikita. I use them every day, all day. they fall from heights, get hot and keep rinning. I have a drill/ impact driver set from 2005 that are still going. Before that, I was going through a DeWalt about every 6 weeks. I like DeWalt, but taking time out of my day to replace a tool sucks.

Also, check out Mikita's website. they have a metric assload of cordless tools.

I'm a DeWalt guy, mainly because of a Black Friday sale on them at Costal. They hold up to whatever I put them through. I don't care what color they are, they just better work. I've heard the Milwaukee "Fuel" line is their professional series and on par with the commercial DeWalts. DeWalt seems to have two lines as well, their 1/2" impact has two options and the expensive one is mighty impressive.

I was talking to a remodeling contractor the other day and all he had was cordless tools in his custom made walk in trailer.
When he arrived at my neighbors house to work on an upstairs bathroom, all he did was plug in an extension cord to the side of the trailer.
Inside was a bank of different brand battery chargers on a wall, as he only used cordless tools.
He had a bunch of those adapters and swapped out batteries as needed.

If you already have an infrastructure of batteries/chargers in one brand that's the one I'd go with. I'd hate to have 3 or 4 different styles to keep track of

That said I'm a Milwaukee guy and by coincidence many of my co-workers are, too. A few DeWalt guys and your token harbor freight shills. We are professional truck/heavy equipment mechanics and use them daily in less than ideal conditions. Our company is kind enough to repair our tools for us when they break and more often than not I see yellow tools on the workbench. Take that for what it's worth
I thought Milwaukee was a Harbor Freight brand because I see Milwaukee tools there all the time. Turns out they're owned by Techtronic.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top