JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Min for elk should be 7mm. Wanting to lose elk or use that whole 30 rnd mag on an elk is stupid.. weight difference in a 223 platform vs a Tikka light in appropriate caliber is nothing but a couple ounces. I've had to help track plenty of elk that had good shots from 270-300win. Some elk fall over dead a some refuse to die. Saving on weight is a BS excuse.
I don't agree. .007" is not that huge a difference, and a .270 Win., WSM or Weatherby is sufficient at reasonable range, say 300 yards for the standard and 400 yards for the magnum versions, preferably with premium bullets. I personally know two people who successfully harvested cows with 6mm conventional rifles at ranges less than 200 yards. I don't think any 6mm's are sufficient and lean against the 6.5's unless you include the 6.5WSM and the .264 Win Mag. And the .223/5.56 shouldn't even be part of the debate…

I don't agree. .007" is not that huge a difference, and a .270 Win., WSM or Weatherby is sufficient at reasonable range, say 300 yards for the standard and 400 yards for the magnum versions, preferably with premium bullets. I personally know two people who successfully harvested cows with 6mm conventional rifles at ranges less than 200 yards. I don't think any 6mm's are sufficient and lean against the 6.5's unless you include the 6.5WSM and the .264 Win Mag. And the .223/5.56 shouldn't even be part of the debate…
Concur. The 10 elk I've killed with my 270 Win were all one shot and none of them went more than about 15 yards.

Min for elk should be 7mm. Wanting to lose elk or use that whole 30 rnd mag on a elk is stupid.. weight difference in a 223 platform vs a Tikka light in appropriate caliber is nothing but a couple ounces. I've had to help track plenty of elk that had good shots from 270-300win. Some elk fall over dead an some refuse to die. Saving on weight is a BS excuse.
First off saving weight is always the number one consideration when you have to carry your gear. Second how far of shots are you taking that 7mm is minimal for elk?

Min for elk should be 7mm. Wanting to lose elk or use that whole 30 rnd mag on a elk is stupid.. weight difference in a 223 platform vs a Tikka light in appropriate caliber is nothing but a couple ounces. I've had to help track plenty of elk that had good shots from 270-300win. Some elk fall over dead an some refuse to die. Saving on weight is a BS excuse.
I'm for less government intrusion and regulation by people that have no idea.

First off saving weight is always the number one consideration when you have to carry your gear. Second how far of shots are you taking that 7mm is minimal for elk?
Ok so you want to save weight.. Buy a rifle in appropriate cartridge that is lighter than your AR. You got to pack out multiple quarters generally over 75lbs each..You wont notice a 8lb rifle vs 6 lbs rifle at that point. Your in Oregon too so how many 5 round mag changes do you plan on doing while that wounded elk is keeping up with the herd .

Ok so you want to save weight.. Buy a rifle in appropriate cartridge that is lighter than your AR. You got to pack out multiple quarters generally over 75lbs each..You wont notice a 8lb rifle vs 6 lbs rifle at that point. Your in Oregon too so how many 5 round mag changes do you plan on doing while that wounded elk is keeping up with the herd .
They all don't die in 1 shot?

My AR is literally 5.5lbs and why do I need to buy a new rifle when what I have is something I am competent with and has shown to be effective. Or are you offering me a new rifle?

My AR is literally 5.5lbs and why do I need to buy a new rifle when what I have is something I am competent with and has shown to be effective. Or are you offering me a new rifle?
1715648877631.png

You've said most of your shots were ~50m., and your AR is ~5-1/2 lbs.
You can get one of those new Ruger/Marlin lever actions that only weigh 7lbs.
And they're in .45-70, a great round, (perhaps one of the best,) for big game at close range.
It is true what Andy posted, BIG HEAVY bullets are better.
Even Jack O'Conner, who hunted all over the world with a .270 allowed that when you get into Elk territory it was time to bring out bigger calibers.
What's the deal with so many hunters always wanting to use calibers where you need a magnifying glass to see the bullets?

You've said most of your shots were ~50m., and your AR is ~5-1/2 lbs.
You can get one of those new Ruger/Marlin lever actions that only weigh 7lbs.
And they're in .45-70, a great round, (perhaps one of the best,) for big game at close range.
It is true what Andy posted, BIG HEAVY bullets are better.
Even Jack O'Conner, who hunted all over the world with a .270 allowed that when you get into Elk territory it was time to bring out bigger calibers.
What's the deal with so many hunters always wanting to use calibers where you need a magnifying glass to see the bullets?
Can't handle the recoil, I'd guess

223 isnt proven to be effective. Its proven to be capable of occasionally being successful in improper use and unethical hunting.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top