JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
e question I would have is simple what round loaded in .223 Rem has the energy to drop a Bull elk at 300 yards.

The other problem with this is not the ultimate load possible to stuff into a .223 Rem. Its the run of the mill BiMart bargain basement spire point.
This is the root of the issue. Make it legal and people will justify trying on the bull of a lifetime at longer ranges and with any bullet. Apparently the 77gn TMK is working on elk in the Rokslide hunting forum but even if thats the magic bullet...

it doesn't mean thats what someone will use.

Its that skilled shooter ( and hunter ) part that is the sticking point.

I know that bullets have come a long way from lead round ball...not to forget to mention stone and steel arrow points.
However...even with the latest in projectile technology...you gotta be a good shot..and hunter to bring home game.
Luck plays a role here too.

Any game animal should get a clean , quick kill from a hunter.
This at times , may require a heavy projectile. or a specific bullet design...this may exclude calibers smaller than 24 for elk.
Andy
Mans got to know his limitations.

Why would you want a smaller than .24 cal?
Largly because I want to hunt with the AR platform as I am most familiar with it.

The main stick is I can carry a lighter gun in that frame instead of the weight and bulk of the AR 10 frame. It might not seem like a big deal to those that drive to a spot but for those that hike in it makes a difference carrying lighter gear to include a rifle.

Yes I can go 6.5 Grendel or some similar but I have the reloading components for .223 and a 77gr loading that I shoot very well.

And finally because why not. Those heavier loadings of .223 are doing around 1000ft lbs of energy (you can argue the ethics of that, I think it is more than enough).
And as mentioned above shot placement is what matters most, so why would I not use a rifle that I am most competent with.

The question I would have is simple what round loaded in .223 Rem has the energy to drop a Bull elk at 300 yards.

The other problem with this is not the ultimate load possible to stuff into a .223 Rem. Its the run of the mill BiMart bargain basement spire point.

I've hunted deer for 55 years with .22-250 to .50cal muzzle loader even .348 Win as a kid with dad. And I'm not sure I would even go cow Elk hunting with a .243Win or 6mmRem
In fact I am building a .35 Whelan as an Elk Black Bear rifle.
Your 75 and 77gr variety factory otm's are seeing great results in other states where legal. And just because you would not do it does not mean someone else shouldn'.

Changing the rules (I could be wrong on this).

I believe that the caliber requirements are Administrative Rules set by the ODFW Commission. They have the force of law but are not specified in the Oregon Revised Statutes. You can submit your proposed changes to the ODFW Commission during any one of their meetings, either in person or virtually, and there are rules on how to do that.

You can also do it through the initiative or legislative process, which will become law if successful, superseding any Administrative Rule.
Thank you someone who attempted to answer the question.

Largly because I want to hunt with the AR platform as I am most familiar with it.

The main stick is I can carry a lighter gun in that frame instead of the weight and bulk of the AR 10 frame. It might not seem like a big deal to those that drive to a spot but for those that hike in it makes a difference carrying lighter gear to include a rifle.
Have you thought of this?

https://ruger.com/products/sfar/models.html

1715481433414.png

Or the AR-15 in more powerful cartridges:

Bruce

Last Edited:
I dont know for certain but magazine length in the AR platform will limit how far out you can seat the heavier bullets potentially reducing case capacity, thus needed velocities. From what Ive read about this most elk hunters using the 223 are hunting with bolt actions where they can handload closer to the lands. Im not certain what factory ammo gets with the heavier bullets.

I don't know if it's a written standard, but anecdotical evidence from the layman probably wouldn't get you very far with the ODFW Commission, nor would any other State's regulations.
I would argue thats not a great standard. Their are plenty of heavier .223 loads that would fit the bill regardless of marketing.

For example plenty of companies market the snub nose revolvers for the elderly and I would argue that is one of the worst.

I would argue thats not a great standard. Their are plenty of heavier .223 loads that would fit the bill regardless of marketing.

For example plenty of companies market the snub nose revolvers for the elderly and I would argue that is one of the worst.
I believe that Oregon is in the preliminary stage of going lead-free, and we'll be lucky if it's just for hunting. If you were serious about changing the regs, my opinion is that any evidence using ammo with lead will be a non-starter. If you can provide evidence of terminal ballistics and success hunting large game, such as elk, with 22 cal monos or lead-free ammo you might actually have a chance. I'm not sure that such evidence exists.

less than 24cal for elk.
My guess is you'd have to collect enough signatures to submit a citizen ballot initiative.

Please tell me this isn't influenced by that huge Rokslide thread on hunting elk with 223?

What bullet technology has improved to justify 223 for elk?
9mm will blow the 🫁 right out of an elk, moose, grizzly, elephant, etc. No need for something extreme like 223.

6 cows, no bulls all shots were taken inside of 100m mostly around 50m
Given that experience you still think a 223 will do the job. I do not agree - many shots are not perfect and with a 223 there is no room for error. I have seen a deer killed by my dad with a 22LR. That does not make a 22LR a deer cartridge.

Sorry I was reading everything up until this point…

You can't figure out a bolt action rifle with a safety?

Less parts to break, less weight (generally), holds plenty of ammunition, stupid simple to use. I don't see the problem.

Seriously, buy a bolt gun and go hunting.. Find a hobby in the off season.

Yes I can go 6.5 Grendel or some similar but I have the reloading components for .223 and a 77gr loading that I shoot very well.

6 cows, no bulls all shots were taken inside of 100m mostly around 50m
You need to practice more if you need hand loads for 50-100m shots.

I have a Savage 11 that is around 35+ years old and I can put 3 shots within a 3" circle at 300 yards using factory 30-06 ammo all day long and even on a bad day.

Not trying to be mean but seriously I don't get the issue.

Bolt guns are easier to pack if you are hoofing it in and easier to clean etc. Plus you can pick up a good used one for way less then a decent AR so if you fall and break it you don't have to cry about it.

Just my 2¢ for whatever it's worth.

This is the root of the issue. Make it legal and people will justify trying on the bull of a lifetime at longer ranges and with any bullet. Apparently the 77gn TMK is working on elk in the Rokslide hunting forum but even if thats the magic bullet...

it doesn't mean thats what someone will use.
You can buy custom 10 round magazines for the Savage Axis, Axis 2, etc in a variety of calibers. If your looking for more rounds, and less LBS this is the way to go. Then again you should only need one round with the right shot placement. But for varmints you can't go wrong.

Just curious how many elk you have killed?
I've killed 23 myself hunting. 7 stick flicking, 13 with a 270 and 3 with a 300wsm. Lost count on work related elk take, the majority where removed with my 22-250 or a suppressed 308 with sub sonic loads. I have used a 22 on a couple occasions too. For hunting purposes I personally wouldn't want anything smaller than the 270. Hunting situations things can go sideways fast, shot placement and tracking skills are key.

As with anything hunting related, it's the unethical hunter that gives the rest of us bad press. Way too many times I have seen hunters get excited and "Spray & Pray" on elk, be it a lone animal or a herd. I watched from a distance as six hunters hamburgered a lone cow with high power rifles until she folded. And they were using traditional bolt actions. Can't imagine the mess with AR's (and I'm not bad mouthing AR's). Trigger fingers are itchy enough.

Growing up hunting in Montana, one of my best friends took a good many Elk with a 22-250, all head and neck shots. He also used an '06 on occasion. Most of my lifelong hunting buddies used something more substantial, including me. The smallest I ever went was 243, but never for Elk. Deer, Antelope, and a Bighorn ram, as well as varmints were for that rifle.

I have seen game animals, that no matter what bullet used and how good the shot placement, they just didn't want to die. They are tough to begin with, and if jacked up on adrenalin, well, they just keep going. I took a nice Whitetail one year at the beginning of rut. Wide open country, and a shot at about 100 yards. My '06 was loaded with 165 Gr Sierra HPBT, and a shot right in the motor cavity should have done him right there. He humped up a bit and started staggering off, and didn't tip over dead until he had gone another 300 yards. His vitals were a mess. I knew it was a good shot, and I just sat there and watched him. I was impressed.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top