JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hopefully the legal owner of the lower pushes the pins in since they will be sheared off over time if he leaves them out all of the time.

I see what you did there. The author of that book, Christopher Browning, used to teach in WA at PLU years ago.

Interestingly enough, the unit he profiled was a reserve police battalion. It wasn't just the SS running the Holocaust.
I was wondering if anyone would get the reference.

I suspect that someone.......

"Dropped a Dime" on the homeowners.

Yeah......Just imagine, "What if?"

Example : Someone sees your "firearm" (they didn't know it was actually an Air Soft) in your home displayed out in the open. They claim child endangerment and it's in violation of the state's, SAFE STORAGE LAW.

Then.....
Rrrrrrright......A JUDGE approves a warrant. Yup......for the suspected violation(s) of the LAW. Gotta keep everyone SAFE.

BUT, But, but.......
Remember.......
If your name is Hillary?
Your computer server is more or less sacred.
Let's make a deal?

Getting back to the video. Ask yourself/imagine?
Is there/Was there some amount of "White Privilege" involved in the difference between how things are handled in various communities?

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
So! If you move to California, you need to register all guns before moving in?
If you're really planning on moving to CA?
May I suggest.......
That you read up on CA gun laws. And do some research on the property tax code of the community where you are planning to live.

Back when I was planning a move.......
Well, just say that CA quickly was out of the running.

Aloha, Mark

This was about 1960, believe it or not. The Sierras and anywhere else at least 50 miles from the coast was rugged and real. People did what they wanted to do, and damn the gawkers. This is how I grew up. Hunting and fishing were what you did when you weren't working or going to school. The mountains were criss crossed with active logging roads, and woe be to you if you didn't give way to a loaded truck headed downhill. I rode hundreds of miles on those roads in the bed of a 1940's pickup with a gun rack in the window to go trout fishing where nobody else ever went, or to get to an area where dad knew there was a giant buck, so I could sit on a stump like a statue in the pre-dawn with my Marlin 336 for hours. We'd have to roll rocks and push downed trees out of the road in some places. The small towns served gold panners, cowboys, truckers, hunters, fishermen, and lumberjacks, and the saloons didn't serve white wine. Big Trees State Park was on a dirt road off of Hwy 4 near a town called Arnold, and another town named White Pines whose sole reason for existence was the sawmill there, complete with a mill pond. You had to hike a mile or so from the highway to see the giant redwoods.

But even then the easterners were flocking into San Francisco and Monterey and Napa, lured by the promise of adventure and beauty. But that adventure and beauty existed in the first place because they weren't there yet. I remember these outlanders buying property in places like Jackson, San Andreas, and Ione for $5000 per acre, while the locals just shook their heads and wondered why anybody would pay more than $25 per acre for dry grass, rocks, scrub oak, and 115 degree days in the summer. Today, the gold rush and Sierra towns are full of tourists and gift shops. The main industries are wineries and skiing. The giant redwoods have fences around them to keep the fools from carving their initials on them, and they charge admission.

I mourn for the sleepy, dusty, free, adventurous place where I grew up. I panned for gold and could cast a fly rod when I was 7 years old. I could also shoot the eye out of a squirrel at 25 yards. But nobody cares and nobody knows what California with 1/10th the population was like. Today the mountains are just a venue for mountain bikers, skiers, and rafters passing by as quickly as they can on their way to the next shallow, artificial "adventure". Bikers, skiers, and rafters don't care about the deer and bear, or the trout that watch their antics with amazed curiosity. They probably don't even see them.

All of that is gone forever. It's a time and place that no longer exists. Maybe it's a gift to have a limited life span, and not experience the loss of everything you loved about that life as the world changes over time, and people become more and more disconnected from reality.
I feel your pain, I grew up in Sisters Oregon in the 60's, much the same as you described. so sad to see these days. we used to trap and sell chipmunks to the tourists back then [certainly illegal these days], oftentimes we would sell the same animal over and over as the "tourist" family wouldn't make it a block before you heard a child howling and see the chipmunk bail from the car. good times!

@ZigZagZeke you from the columbia area? my family has been in that area since the 1830's
Rural eastern part of Stockton. I could be in San Andreas or Jackson in about 40 minutes. Stockton was much like Eugene in those days. College town with deep agricultural roots. The people who thought they were somebody joined the country club. That was all the bankers, professors, and small business people, the new money. The real money, the old money, the Italian and Basque farmers and ranchers joined the Waterloo Road Rod Gun & Bocci Club. My oldest daughter's godmother's family owned 11,000 acres of cow/sheep ranch.

Late post. Everyplace north of I 80 and east of I 5 is still pretty remote without alot of new settlers. North of Sonoma to the boarder and 10 miles away from I 5 is also still pretty wild.

My thought on the video is also questioning the remarkable waste of resources. At the same time, the subjects' intransigence at the process seems foolish to me. He doesn't have to consent to a search because they have a damn warrant. They're going to search his house till they find what their looking for. Rather than prolong the process I'd have shown them to my bench/ safe showed them I had complied with the damn law and got them out of there. They don't care if you don't like it so why have your family subjected to the needless stress. You can not like the law and not be stupid about it. Pissing off and hassling LE is never the right move. This guy also had the luxury of not being a little darker hued where that reaction to LE would've likely invited even more trouble. If they don't have a warrant insist on your rights...but when they do expedire the process.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top