JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
  • Practice re-holstering, there may be a situation where you have someone under control e.g. placed them on the ground, legs spread, palms up, head turned away from you and the police arrive. Might be a good idea to have your firearm in the holster keeping your eyes on them, hand on the firearm when the police arrive you are now non-threatening as your hands move away from the firearm but prior to this if they attempt to get up you have access to your firearm. Many place a good deal of time into drawing from cover, take time to re-holster one handed, first by looking then as you get comfortable without looking.
  • One thing I see men do a good deal is when they pick something up off the floor they bend over while females bend at the knees. Bending over is more likely to print while no so with bending at the knees. I am a firm believer in that nobody should know I have a firearm as I have no clue if someone is good or bad and even good people might call undue attention to you if you print.
  • Inspect your firearm carry concealed several times a week as carrying on body can collect lint and dirt that might possible cause the firearm not to fire. Even more so for ankle or pocket carry.

+1 on practice bending over / reaching up - stuff you are likely todo at a store.
Handgun_6215.jpg

Practice going to the bathroom - while you are at home.
What are you going to do with the pistol? Other EDC gear. Could someone see?, such as under the stall wall.

Understand that;

Printing is not brandishing!!!
In Oregon there is no law against brandishing and OC is legal. I think that would be more relevant for another state.

But on to a more relevant (on topic) conversation; 1) stop checking it. 2) keep one in the pipe. 3) learn to shoot from your back and from your weak side. 4) Actually read and understand the law pertaining to your permit.

Eagle

Edited: for clarification.

Last Edited:
This may sound silly, but find a floor length mirror and practice your concealed draw and re holster etc. Watch yourself, see haw you carry yourself, how your body works, how you flow. Practice. Then do it again and again and again. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Practice re-holstering, there may be a situation where you have someone under control e.g. placed them on the ground, legs spread, palms up, head turned away from you and the police arrive.

You should know how to re-holster your weapon, but I still think this scenario is pretty unlikely. I'm not a cop trying to apprehend a suspect. If I have to draw my sidearm, it will be to stop an imminent threat. Gunfire or immediate retreat would seem to be the most likely outcomes of that scenario. Even if the erstwhile attacker were to surrender, what would I do should he flee while I'm contacting the local constabulary? Certainly not shoot him in the back …

You should know how to re-holster your weapon, but I still think this scenario is pretty unlikely. I'm not a cop trying to apprehend a suspect. If I have to draw my sidearm, it will be to stop an imminent threat. Gunfire or immediate retreat would seem to be the most likely outcomes of that scenario. Even if the erstwhile attacker were to surrender, what would I do should he flee while I'm contacting the local constabulary? Certainly not shoot him in the back …

It's less about him fleeing, as it would be him deciding to press his attack again. If you prone him out and he gets up and runs - whatever, run forest run. But if he gets proned out and then decides he has an opportunity to attack again its about being ready. This is assuming you are comfortable and capable of holding a guy at gunpoint for the police to show up and do their thing.

Pretty unlikely is why this should be practiced because there is always Murphy's law...

If you have never experienced role playing with Simmunitions in a police training house or in the back of a specially equipped semi (the one I was in travels across the country often for LEO) under extreme adrenalin rush with someone monitoring you, not knowing what to expect going in and in a split second giving strict commands on what to do it's not possible to realize all situations, it is not black and white there or in the real world. I urge people to read "Sharpening the Warrior's Edge" in this regard.

BTW The above was part of Massad Ayoob's LFI-4 course which I went through where in addition to that they would extract a pint of blood, get a shot of epinephrine then optionally Taser you in either the strong or off arm to really make it interesting.

I don't get why 'reholstering' is worth training.
If I pull the gun,it is staying out till the cops get there and then I can turn it over and hand it to them. I'm not putting my gun away till the problem is solved. Then I can use 2 hands
I'm just not worried about reholstering in the middle of a gun fight.
And as I have said many times before,y'all can play all the quick draw BS you want. I won't be.
If I am somewhere I might need a gun or the situation looks to be deteriorating,I will have my gun in hand,in a pocket or under the front of my shirt,BEFORE necessary
There is always someone faster.

In Oregon there is no law against brandishing and OC is legal. I think that would be more relevant for another state.

But on to a more relevant conversation;

Eagle

I like how since YOU though it not relevant you thought we should move on:rolleyes:
Actually many believe that it is illegal to print in Wa or OR,just like other states
So,it is relevant here also so folks know it is not illegal to print in those states.
Here? Nobody much cares either way.
Plus there are so many guys that carry so many tools now days. I have seen guys with about 4 holsters for various tools on their belts
Common folk don't look to see which one is what.I do cause I wonder what they do that they need all that gear

When the police show up. The threat you faced may be dead, run off, or you could be standing on his throat? In any case things should be under control.

Having the police respond to the calmest most in control situation is a good Idea.
If they think there is a gun fight going on they may want to jump in!
And That could be bad for you.

So Ya. I can see learning to re-holster your gun as a good practice tool.;)

Last Edited:
I like how since YOU though it not relevant you thought we should move on:rolleyes:

I was meaning more relevant to the thread, or in other words, more on topic since whether Oregon has a brandishing law falls into the legal category and is not directly related to a Hint/Tip or Technique. I was not meaning to say that user Sgt Nambu did not bringing truthful information, or information that was irrelevant. :rolleyes:

I was meaning more relevant to the thread, or in other words, more on topic since whether Oregon has a brandishing law falls into the legal category and is not directly related to a Hint/Tip or Technique. I was not meaning to say that user Sgt Nambu did not bringing truthful information, or information that was irrelevant. :rolleyes:
That's what I thought you meant and yes it was relevant to the thread so folks don't get all worried that they may print a little

That's what I thought you meant and yes it was relevant to the thread so folks don't get all worried that they may print a little

Sure, it's just seems like something that is common knowledge about EDC in the three states that NWF represents or at least one of the first things you would have looked up if you have already chosen to EDC here. When I think of a tip I generally don't think of something that someone should know already if they have started EDC. Or to quote OP
What would you say is your best tip for EDC? Perhaps something you wish you had known sooner, or something you learned the hardway.
Least ways, here in Oregon if you are printing and worried about it you either CCWing without a permit or you have an extremely terrible CCW class and you should slap your instructor. I just thought tips would go beyond the CCW class.

But I digress.

Edit: words.

Last Edited:
Oddly enough even though it may not be illegal to print here, you may be visited by the boys in blue for a chat if you're walking through a store and some nervous nelly decides to SWAT you with a cell call to the popo. As far as I'm concerned personally the CHL gives you permission to carry concealed, it does not make it a requirement, yeah?

Oddly enough even though it may not be illegal to print here, you may be visited by the boys in blue for a chat if you're walking through a store and some nervous nelly decides to SWAT you with a cell call to the popo. As far as I'm concerned personally the CHL gives you permission to carry concealed, it does not make it a requirement, yeah?

This exactly, at least here in Oregon. Oddly enough the CHL instructor I had mentioned that he had happily met a pair of our local PD officers for a pleasant chat at the local Wally World after some shopper saw him bend over to tie his shoe. As you say, just because it's not illegal doesn't mean you won't be SWATed

Don't buy jeans with belt loops too small for your gun belt!

When you buy a gun belt, figure out what you are going to do when the velcro wears out.

I'm at the stage, flat butt, where I have to hitch up my belt every time I get out of the car. But nobody pays attention to old men, so it's no big deal. Maybe I should start carrying a mouse gun these days! Anyway I am far beyond the paranoia stage any more.

Lots of good advice in this thread.
When I carry , I try not wear "gun clothes" such as a fanny pack , a gun slogan or logo shirt , any of my old Army jackets or hunting clothes , etc ...
I think such things and items can draw attention to you and peoples attention is not what you want when you are carrying.
Andy

Lots of good advice in this thread.
When I carry , I try not wear "gun clothes" such as a fanny pack , a gun slogan or logo shirt , any of my old Army jackets or hunting clothes , etc ...
I think such things and items can draw attention to you and peoples attention is not what you want when you are carrying.
Andy

I thought something similar about bags but given that your bag (or fanny pack) doesn't scream gun slogans - only gun people know it's a gun bag; everyone else thinks it's just a bag. At least in the Portland or Seattle area.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews