JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
These expand and loose energy fast. Not the best for longer distance shots on tougher rodents .

_vyr_410Crosman-Destroyer-cal--4-5mm.jpg

CCI makes .22lr with shot. Or do you mean a pellet ?

Usually they just fly out of ours unless they build a nest. You could leave a radio on and see if that scares them off.

Yes it was some kind of lead shot in them, size looked almost like dust. Things were very weak. I had used them around the house to get rats and mice and you had to be close to them to stop them with the damn things.

Yes it was some kind of lead shot in them, size looked almost like dust. Things were very weak. I had used them around the house to get rats and mice and you had to be close to them to stop them with the damn things.

I have a pack of these but haven't played with them yet. I want to try some in .22 mag also.

But ya I think around 10 feet or less to be affective.

22-ammo-types.jpg

Just get a $20 spring powered softair pistol. I always had a S&W 1911 but it seems the comparable version is a Sig P226 nowadays. Shoots .22gr 6mm plastic BB's at about 325fps, which should deter any small pest animal.
Then you can use it to have fun while grilling...
Beware, the biodegradable BB's take about 6years to decompose...

I have a pack of these but haven't played with them yet. I want to try some in .22 mag also.

But ya I think around 10 feet or less to be affective.

View attachment 499429

Yep I had seen those long ago, they were the new and improved version, the ones we had as a kid were all brass and crimped at the end but same thing and you're right. We had to be very close to actually kill. Often when shooting a rat or mouse in the barn they would run off if we were not. Some times saw blood but I think often just really made them mad :) After I got my first "good" air rifle I found it was FAR deadlier on them as long as I hit what I shot at. With that if one was running along the rafters and such they just dropped like a bean bag when hit.
While ago when I was unpacking from the move I found a stash of .38 and .357 ammo I had forgotten about. Gave it away at work since I am not planning another .357. I had 2 10 packs of the CCI 38/357 shot shells in that stash. Looked just like those but of course much larger. Can't remember where they came from but IIRC Wife long ago brought them home one day. I think it went some kid at a gun shop convinced her they were like turning you pistol into a shotgun or some garbage. I told her if she really just "had to have them" to shoot for the face. The packs were unopened so she must have taken my advice and never loaded them. Even found one pack of them in 9mm. Must have come home at the same time. They got tossed in a junk drawer.

You can make primer powered wax slugs for about any handgun that are pretty lethal on mice and rats.. I'd think they'd have less penetration than the plastic reusable ones Speer offers. I'd do that.

You can make primer powered wax slugs for about any handgun that are pretty lethal on mice and rats.. I'd think they'd have less penetration than the plastic reusable ones Speer offers. I'd do that.
For some reason I had the notion to suggest setting mouse traps lined with rifle primers woulds be a good idea... :D

When I shoot these in my pellet gun it sounds like a 22 short round and basically the same volocty maybe more I don't remember what the fps is for a 22 short .lol these in my gun are around 1200 or more fps

Last Edited:
These pellets are cheap garbage only good for close RANGEView attachment 499494 View attachment 499495

Those Crossman Premiers are one of my favorites. I have several tins of RWS , Beeman, JSB and the Crossman HPs are the most accurate in my air rifles. Those hyper velocity lightweight pellets are junk. You want real lead for pellets . Have you done any accuracy testing with them ? Or hunting ?

IMG_1983.JPG

317701-ee691d9446673efd7f9d93351a03a0c6.jpg

Last Edited:
Those Crossman Premiers are one of my favorites. I have several tins of RWS , Beeman, JSB and the Crossman HPs are the most accurate in my air rifles. Those hyper velocity lightweight pellets are junk. You want real lead for pellets . Have you done any accuracy testing with them ? Or hunting ?

View attachment 499662

View attachment 499664
Just goofing around in the yard the gammo one work better in my gun the lead ones don't work very good .I have not shot this gun for a while now I will have to take it out .
I have some other crossman pellets that I haven't tried yet .the ones with the polymer tip

EPS, you've obviously drunk WAAAAY too much of the Gamo (not Gammo) "faster is better" Koolaid :rolleyes:. Stop and think about the design of the typical air gun pellet. Kind of looks like a badminton birdie, doesn't it? Now think about the typical .30 cal. rifle bullet. Which one looks like a high velocity projectile to you? Reality is, the majority of air gun ammo is designed for velocities less than 1000 FPS, with the sweet spot falling between 850-950 FPS for domed pellets, and target (wadcutter) style under 750. Pointed pellets are usually crap, in my experience, of the dozens of air guns I've owned over the years, only a couple produced acceptable accuracy with pointed pellets. Other than limiting penetration, hollow points are a waste of time in most air guns, just not enough velocity to get them to expand. They also tend to mess with accuracy as the range increases. BTW, I define acceptable accuracy from an air rifle as 90% hits on standard paintballs at 30-50 yards, depending on rifle and caliber. Or at least, acceptable for critters, I'm not quite as critical punching paper.

As to quality pellets, Gamo makes some okay rifles, but they're pellets are crap, and the ones you think so highly of are the crappiest. Sure, they go fast, but I bet you'd be lucky to hit a tin can consistently at 40 yards, and you might as well be dry firing your rifle, they WILL burn piston seals and kill main springs. Which is exactly what Gamo wants, they're in business to sell rifles, not extend the life of the one you have.

The Crosman Premiers are usually pretty good, although the weight can be pretty variable, and they use a harder lead alloy than just about anyone else. You're right about the Daisy's though, you'd be lucky to hit the broad side of a barn from inside the barn with them. Best brands in most guns are JSB, H&N, most Beeman (rebranded H&N), and RWS. There are other, specialty, pellets, extra-heavyweights for the really high powered rifles, or big bore ammo, anything over .25 caliber. Hope that info helps someone, later.

Dave

Other than limiting penetration, hollow points are a waste of time in most air guns, just not enough velocity to get them to expand. They also tend to mess with accuracy as the range increases.

Not knowing any better, I purchased two tins of the Crosman Premier Hollow-points when I purchased the Airhawk. That might explain why I tend to "haze/harass" the birds more often than not :D. I'll buy some of the others listed and see if that changes the score.

Not knowing any better, I purchased two tins of the Crosman Premier Hollow-points when I purchased the Airhawk. That might explain why I tend to "haze/harass" the birds more often than not :D. I'll buy some of the others listed and see if that changes the score.

The Crosman HP is one of the few exceptions, the hollow is so small it hardly makes a difference. Don't worry about getting anything else just yet, I found the ones I was talking about and will send them, too. Once you figure out what works in YOUR rifle you can order more. Later.

Dave

The Crosman HP is one of the few exceptions, the hollow is so small it hardly makes a difference. Don't worry about getting anything else just yet, I found the ones I was talking about and will send them, too. Once you figure out what works in YOUR rifle you can order more. Later.

Dave
Well bubblegum, there goes that excuse :).

I shoot .22 caliber and at 750 fps I have no problems taking small game or pests out to 50 yards or so with the Premier hollow points. But at 14.3 grains they are almost double the weight of the .177. Shot placement is key.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top