JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just picked up a brand spanking new 4.25" S&W M&P9 M2.0 Optics Ready model, as I wanted to switch up to a larger pistol for EDC. Anybody have any AIWB holster recommendations? I was going to slap a Trijicon RMR Type 2 Red Dot on it but dang, that thing is expensive. Maybe a Burris or Holosun.

JM Custom Kydex has several AIWB models and they are excellent. Their AIWB-WC is my current rig

If you want a sidecar holster, Tier 1 Concealed makes the best sidecar rig IMO

Keepers Concealment makes a great appendix rig but their flagship model runs about $180 if memory serves. It ain't cheap.

Tenicor makes an excellent appendix rig. Comes highly recommend by the likes of Kyle Defoor (if you happen to know who he is)

G Code's Incog isn't bad but I tend to think they're better for smaller guns...not like your new M&P

The Trijicon is well worth the money IMO. Are you going to Apex it too at some point or leave it stock?

Are you going to Apex it too at some point or leave it stock
Thanks for all the recommendations, much appreciated. I think I'll run about 500 rounds through it and then decide about the trigger. It does feel a bit crunchy, but maybe it just needs to be broken in.

I want the Trijicon pretty badly but $700+. Ouch.

Thanks for all the recommendations, much appreciated. I think I'll run about 500 rounds through it and then decide about the trigger. It does feel a bit crunchy, but maybe it just needs to be broken in.

I want the Trijicon pretty badly but $700+. Ouch.
The M&P 2 triggers are better than the M&P 1 triggers. Very shootable out of the box...at least the one I played with. But I always thought the hinge in the middle of the trigger was a bit weird. It's a little too curvy for my tastes. And the M&P Flat trigger is simply excellent...but I really like flat triggers.

Brownells is having a sale on Trijicon Type 2's right now. Not sure which one you were interested in. Looks like they're coming in right around $500.

JM Custom Kydex has several AIWB models and they are excellent. Their AIWB-WC is my current rig
Thanks again for the recommendations. I went with the JM AIWB Wing Claw 2.0 Holster for S&W. I like that they have features that keep the muzzle from turning into your body. Also ordered the Safariland 6390 ALS Mid-Ride Level I Retention™ Duty Holster for use on the battle belt setup.

Thanks again for the recommendations. I went with the JM AIWB Wing Claw 2.0 Holster for S&W. I like that they have features that keep the muzzle from turning into your body. Also ordered the Safariland 6390 ALS Mid-Ride Level I Retention™ Duty Holster for use on the battle belt setup.
Excellent choices. The 6390RDS is a very sweet rig too.

Note that you definitely want to pick you up a "nub mod" from OT Defense...if you haven't already. Well worth the $27. Why Safariland hasn't improved the ALS button over the years is beyond me.

Note too that G Code's stuff works well with Safariland. Their "Mule Rig" is probably the best drop leg platform on the market because of it's shorter down strap (most drop leg rigs ride entirely too low...at least for my tastes). Their RTI wheels are excellent as well...but I honestly can't decide if I like RTI wheels better or Safariland's QLS mount. They're both very good.

I'm also VERY good at spending other people's money...if you haven't noticed. :D

Last Edited:
Which mounting option did you pick for that JM holster? For many, many years I was soft loops 100% on IWB rigs. About a year ago I picked up the DCC Monoblock clip to give a try - lots of people kept singing their praises. After a short while I became a convert. It is literally the only metal clip I will run or recommend - they're rock solid once on the belt, but come off when *you* want it to, not just randomly unlike every other clip I've tried. With a light enough gun, you can also run it beltless on some shorts or sweat pants - that M&P of yours is NOT light enough for that, but if you get a Shield (og, not plus) you're probably good to go going beltless with the DCC clip.

If you are not 100% married to the RMR - look at the Holosun 509 or the Holosun EPS. They had some advantages over the Trijicon in terms of ease of use, and not having to re-zero after swapping batteries. They're also enclosed emitter. I didn't think enclosed would be that big a deal - but daily carry with an RDS for a year has made me rethink that. I'll be switching to enclosed options as soon as the fun-money allows. I've carried the Holosun 507C and 507K models and still have the 507K - I traded the Walther PDP / 507C last month for a Sig 365 X-Macro, which is wearing the 507K. It will be getting an EPS Carry sight (smaller brother of the EPS, fits the 507K footprint) ASAP.

The standard EPS uses an RMR / 507C footprint.

The 509 uses an ACRO style mounting plate.

I know, Holosun is Chinesium, but they are solid sights. The circle-dot and chevron reticle options (ala Primary Arms exclusives) are very nice for my astigmatic eyes. Aaron Cowen of Sage Dynamics also has torture tested them and has durability data on his RDS whitepaper and the Holosun optics are right up there with the RMR in terms of durability. Way superior to the other chinesium brands, or even the Trijicon SRO.

If you want to look at enclosed emitter and non-chinesium, the Acro P2 is the way to go of course.

Which mounting option did you pick for that JM holster? For many, many years I was soft loops 100% on IWB rigs. About a year ago I picked up the DCC Monoblock clip to give a try - lots of people kept singing their praises. After a short while I became a convert. It is literally the only metal clip I will run or recommend - they're rock solid once on the belt, but come off when *you* want it to, not just randomly unlike every other clip I've tried. With a light enough gun, you can also run it beltless on some shorts or sweat pants - that M&P of yours is NOT light enough for that, but if you get a Shield (og, not plus) you're probably good to go going beltless with the DCC clip.

If you are not 100% married to the RMR - look at the Holosun 509 or the Holosun EPS. They had some advantages over the Trijicon in terms of ease of use, and not having to re-zero after swapping batteries. They're also enclosed emitter. I didn't think enclosed would be that big a deal - but daily carry with an RDS for a year has made me rethink that. I'll be switching to enclosed options as soon as the fun-money allows. I've carried the Holosun 507C and 507K models and still have the 507K - I traded the Walther PDP / 507C last month for a Sig 365 X-Macro, which is wearing the 507K. It will be getting an EPS Carry sight (smaller brother of the EPS, fits the 507K footprint) ASAP.

The standard EPS uses an RMR / 507C footprint.

The 509 uses an ACRO style mounting plate.

I know, Holosun is Chinesium, but they are solid sights. The circle-dot and chevron reticle options (ala Primary Arms exclusives) are very nice for my astigmatic eyes. Aaron Cowen of Sage Dynamics also has torture tested them and has durability data on his RDS whitepaper and the Holosun optics are right up there with the RMR in terms of durability. Way superior to the other chinesium brands, or even the Trijicon SRO.

If you want to look at enclosed emitter and non-chinesium, the Acro P2 is the way to go of course.
I've heard about DCC Clips but have yet to try them. Been running my JM Custom AIWB-WC with the soft loops and have really liked them.

What do you like better about the clips? Is it just a little bit easier to get the holster on and off instead of having to thread the soft loops around your belt? Or are there other improvements with the clips instead of loops?

I've heard about DCC Clips but have yet to try them. Been running my JM Custom AIWB-WC with the soft loops and have really liked them.

What do you like better about the clips? Is it just a little bit easier to get the holster on and off instead of having to thread the soft loops around your belt? Or are there other improvements with the clips instead of loops?
Definitely easier / faster getting the holster setup on / off the belt. In a year of daily carry I had zero issues with the DCC popping off the belt on its own.

I used to be staunch on my use of soft loops. One thing with the soft loops is that the buttons wear out - I've got a couple that take almost no pressure to pop off the stud. They're still one-way snaps - they won't pop off with sideways pressure, but the slidest pressure from above and they pop free.

The bigger advantage though - the DCC slip is VERY slim. Even the thinnest stoft staps I've used - the polymer infused nylon stuff - are way thicker than the DCC clip, and none of the soft straps lie flat - there's always a little loop. What that means is the DCC clip by itself does not print - whereas depending on how your clothing drapes - the belt loop may print. Is it a big deal? probably not - but the DCC still gives a lower visual signature.

I typically wear a Wilderness Frequent Flyer belt. With my Frequent Flyer, I can cover up the DCC clip entirely with the tag of the belt, whereas with soft loops, I have to secure it under the soft loops which creates a little more bulge there.

The DCC clip is also far simpler to use vs say, the Ulti Clip, which itself is rather bulky and utilizes a cam-lock type clamping effect.

One more thing with the DCC stuff - if you use your soft loops in connection with a tuckale strut like Raven Concealment or some of the other styles - you can replace those with a single piece of hardware - DCC makes a tuckable clip which is WAAAY thinner than the polymer tuck struts, and you don't have the hardware and bulk of the soft loop.

Holster systems are officially in.

PXL_20221030_001900299.jpg

I'm not in love with Safariland's ALS. I've got a 6360 (SLS hood + ALS lock) for my Beretta - I need the ALS nub for mine, but its just not my favorite. I got it because it's a level 3 system, I think next go-round I'm going to go with a 6280 and just add the Sentry lever brining it up to level 3. Would prefer if the ALS was a straight push, vs the flick back. That'd require more engineering though.

Holster systems are officially in.

View attachment 1301309
Get yourself the NUB Mod for your Safariland ALS. It makes a world of difference.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top