JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a suggestion thread. If you like the idea, use the up arrow to the right of the first post to upvote. Suggestions with more votes get higher priority.
Status
Reactions
Currently if you block/ignore someone it not only hides their content from you, it also hides your content from them. It should not do this, if they do not wish to see your content they have a block/ignore button of their own. If your content is hidden from them it can make it more difficult for them to continue participating in conversations that other people are having on the topic, as they will be missing half the context of that conversation. This allows someone to fragment small sections of the community without the consent of other members by making certain conversations almost entirely opaque to the blocked member. This should not be a possible function of the block/ignore feature, and for this reason I think that that feature should be one way only. If you block/ignore someone you will not see their content, but they will still have full visibility of yours. They will still be able to quote and interact with that content in order to participate in the conversation with other members, but you will not be alerted to or see any of that content (including not being able to see their quotes by other members, just as it works now). This would reduce the power of the ignore button to fragment the community and would reduce the impact on the blocked user.

For those that like not seeing the content of those that have ignored them, there could be an "automatically ignore back" option on the user profile that would maintain the current functionality.

Last Edited:
I am not sure how floppy has gone so far off the rails on this. This suggestion was never about removing the ignore feature. It was about not imposing the ignore feature on others when you chose to ignore them. Again, if you want to ignore me that is fine, I never suggested to take that away from you. But if I want to ignore you I have my own ignore button that I am free to use if I wish. The fact that you clicked on your ignore button should not impact my feed whatsoever. If this gets changed it will not impact the site for people who use the ignore button one iota, but it will impact the site for people who do not use the ignore button because they will not be forced into phantom ignore lists.

View attachment 1867709

I choose to ignore no one, yet other people's choices have removed content from my feed that has impacted my ability to interact with other third parties and has hidden potentially useful or interesting content from me. I am genuinely curious why many members here are so attached to the feature (including at least one mod who is not impacted by the feature at all on account of being immune to ignore?). So far the only reasons proffered for not changing it is "it has always been this way and I don't care" and a debunked "security" argument that is null and void on account of logging out or changing accounts shows you all the hidden content. I am baffled why people would get so energized by a change that would not impact them at all when someone else is stating that that change would improve their experience here.

I mean if this really is such a sticking point why not just have a profile option to "automatically ignore back." That would keep the exact same functionality as now (you could be lazy and not have to click the ignore button yourself when someone ignores you) while still letting people like me who do not ignore base on principle keep our feeds intact. I am genuinely curious why people think the imposed ignore feature is so important, beyond the simple "I get to annoy you and make you log out to see a complete feed."

And yes, I do find the current implementation annoying. A minor and unimportant annoyance to be sure, but a fixable one nonetheless, and fixable in such a way as to not impact people who like the status quo to boot. I can see zero reason to actually vote against it save for some level of spite. It may be a fun an playful spite (which is something I do love about this community, don't get me wrong, but in the proper context) but there have been a few other people on this thread that have echoed my sentiment, and it would be really nice to actually see how many of us there are (or at least how many there are who pay attention to the suggestion forum). If this feature is unimportant to you just don't vote. I view the down vote option as one to exercise when you have a legitimate reason to oppose the change, and I just cannot grasp how that could be the case here (other than the above mentioned "I want to be able to annoy you" reason I listed above).

The fact that this seems to have spawned an actual opposition campaign and generated the most engagement ever for a suggestion (even discounting our usual off topic shenanigans) is a big 🤨 to me. Either I have become popular enough to draw interaction to my verbose ramblings for their own sake (I'm flattered, really!) or this issue really is divisive in ways I do not understand.

View attachment 1867710
Just having a bit of fun, friend.

By the way, have you met Mr. Butler?

Just having a bit of fun, friend.

By the way, have you met Mr. Butler?
Yep. He holed the politics mega-thread for me and made it impossible for me to enjoy reading as half the comments I can see are complete non-sequiturs when he is around. It is truly an unenjoyable experience, at least for me personally. I don't even bother with it when that happens. And since it is in the Den I cannot even switch to incognito to get the context, I would need to create an alt account to be able to follow the complete conversation.

I get that a lot of people don't care to see the content from thin skinned people and trolls, and that is all well and good for them. But for me the holes in the conversation are far more irritating than anything the trolls can write. I see absolutely no reason why their preferences should be forced onto me when the solution can make everyone happy.

Yep. He holed the politics mega-thread for me and made it impossible for me to enjoy reading as half the comments I can see are complete non-sequiturs when he is around. It is truly an unenjoyable experience, at least for me personally. I don't even bother with it when that happens. And since it is in the Den I cannot even switch to incognito to get the context, I would need to create an alt account to be able to follow the complete conversation.

I get that a lot of people don't care to see the content from thin skinned people and trolls, and that is all well and good for them. But for me the holes in the conversation are far more irritating than anything the trolls can write. I see absolutely no reason why their preferences should be forced onto me when the solution can make everyone happy.
Maybe you should start your own gun forum and then you can make everyone do it your way, you could call it whiny b*tches from hell or whatever.

What's your opinion on your current -6 vote count? Do you feel like your suggested change will be implemented?

Can't believe we are at 12 pages...😂

I kinda see the OPs point...kinda...but it seems like a "you" problem, not an "us" problem...horse is dead, quit beating the poor thing.

What's your opinion on your current -6 vote count? Do you feel like your suggested change will be implemented?
I have said my peace ant tried to explain myself as clearly as possible. Now we seem to be getting into the name calling and salt rubbing stage of the game. Honestly it strikes me as sad, and as an example of why our wider community cannot make much gains in the wider culture either; no one is willing to lend a hand to someone who does not see things the same way even if it costs them virtually nothing.

I don't ignore anyone either. I do find it annoying that people who have ignored me have made certain popular threads a swiss-cheese of replies, with many (to me) non-sequitur comments for which I have zero context.
Have you considered figuring out why people have you on their Ignore list and perhaps changing those relationships with others?

Are you able to see or figure out who has you on their Ignore list? If so, reach out to those people and attempt to make amends. Even if it's a simple AGREE to DISAGREE, shake hands and walk away.

Apparently, the days of getting in an actual fist fight and shaking hands with a beer afterwards are LONG gone.

Have you considered figuring out why people have you on their Ignore list and perhaps changing those relationships with others?

Are you able to see or figure out who has you on their Ignore list? If so, reach out to those people and attempt to make amends. Even if it's a simple AGREE to DISAGREE, shake hands and walk away.

Apparently, the days of getting in an actual fist fight and shaking hands with a beer afterwards are LONG gone.
I do operate by those rules, and no, you cannot see who is ignoring you other than by logging out. Sadly there are people who are thin skinned enough that that will ignore for any reason whatsoever. I am not even arguing they shouldn't be allowed to do that. The can ignore who they like for whatever reason suits them. I only ask that when they do that I am not compelled to join them. But that seems to be too much to ask and everyone would rather that be the case.

I have said my peace ant tried to explain myself as clearly as possible. Now we seem to be getting into the name calling and salt rubbing stage of the game. Honestly it strikes me as sad, and as an example of why our wider community cannot make much gains in the wider culture either; no one is willing to lend a hand to someone who does not see things the same way even if it costs them virtually nothing.

Name calling is eventually going to happen any time emotions rise. I like you but I feel like your own irritation has blinded you to the fact that most of us don't want the feature changed, and it therefore should not and almost certainly will not be changed. It was fun sparring with you in good humor, but the temperature of the room seems to have changed now.

Name calling is eventually going to happen any time emotions rise. I like you but I feel like your own irritation has blinded you to the fact that most of us don't want the feature changed, and it therefore should not and almost certainly will not be changed. It was fun sparring with you in good humor, but the temperature of the room seems to have changed now.
Yep, and I find it baffling that so many people piled on when I did not even ask for the feature to be changed for them. There was still an option to mutually ignore, and there was a possible implementation that could even make the whole thing automatic. They could keep it the way they liked. I only asked for an option so that everyone could be happy, but that was a bridge to far it seems. As was said earlier the horse is well and truly dead.

-4 Now. You're welcome.

Don't stop trying. Someday, you'll come up with the +1000 idea that changes the world.

You don't become Wayne Gretzky if you take the skates off after your first fall.

Last Edited:
Are you able to see or figure out who has you on their Ignore list? If so, reach out to those people and attempt to make amends.
If one is being ignored, then how do you propose to "reach out" to the member(s) that is/are ignoring one? :s0092:

By the very function of the ignore feature, one cannot even do that...

If one is being ignored, then how do you propose to "reach out" to the member(s) that is/are ignoring one? :s0092:

Maybe reach out through another fellow member who isn't blocked? "Hey Sobo. Flopsweat blocked me. I'm hoping that's an accident. Could you check for me?"

Ask a Moderator to reach out

Best way is learn to play nice and not get on somebodies Ignore list.

Parks And Rec Spinning GIF

"Oh my these GIFs are awful" ~ E. Good

Ask a Moderator to reach out

Best way is learn to play nice and not get on somebodies Ignore list.
You are assuming the other person is reasonable. That is not always the case. If we were going to take that posture we can just delete the ignore feature all together and force everyone to play nice (or, you know, face a ban). I would be happy with that too, but suggesting that indeed would be trying to force my preference onto everyone else instead of letting people ignore who they want (without it impacting the feed of others).

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads