JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is where the lines get a bit blurry.
As a non resident, I just go by the first sentence only (23).

This has been hotly debated here but at the end of the say each person gets to judge for themselves and accept any consequences.

Agree about it being blurry. Especially cuz it conflicts directly with earlier laws on the same issue. However I don't see anywhere where it specifies a WA resident. But that's why I try to cite the laws for others and let them interpret them and only interpret them for myself. Probably a deal where more than one lawyer would give you more than one answer on the same thing possibly. It does seem to me to be legal if a magazine were in WA state prior to the ban it could leave the state and then return.
Import by its very definition means to bring in. That is why I "assume" that it is written to WA residents. There is also an implication of sustained duration/permanence within the defintion. Otherwise any traveller would be importing anything they're in possession of at any time they decide to enter Washington.

In any event, even if my interpretations were correct, I'd be very wary of going shooting with WA residents because even if its not my intention, if I failed to maintain full control over any banned goods, it could be interpreted by law enforcement that I was transferring.

Import by its very definition means to bring in. That is why I "assume" that it is written to WA residents. There is also an implication of sustained duration/permanence within the defintion. Otherwise any traveller would be importing anything they're in possession of at any time they decide to enter Washington.

In any event, even if my interpretations were correct, I'd be very wary of going shooting with WA residents because even if its not my intention, if I failed to maintain full control over any banned goods, it could be interpreted by law enforcement that I was transferring.
I read it to say import means to transport or move from outside wa, into wa. Doesn't say anything about the state the transporter resides in. Probably best to ask a lawyer though.

I read it to say import means to transport or move from outside wa, into wa. Doesn't say anything about the state the transporter resides in. Probably best to ask a lawyer though.
One could get two different answers from two different lawyers though. The problem is new laws don't have case law to guide from... but there is one thing we all "probably" can agree on is that if its a gun control law, its not going to go well for the person caught in its snare.

FWIW I read it clearly as visitors cant even visit with them.

That's the problem with antigun people writing laws they know nothing about. They don't know how gun owners behave or live day to day so they pit them against the law in various ways and make exercising rights a massive headache as we navigate their ambiguity. More than likely that is their intention. I'm not needing to go into WA to shoot so it really means little to me but I do feel for people who are stuck living with it.

How exactly are they to know, if you are a WA resident, what you left with and what's new? How can you argue that you owned X number of 30rd magazines before the law was created if for some reason you got stopped coming back into WA? I'm not a legal expert but I know trash when I see it and these laws are bottom of the dumpster.

How exactly are they to know, if you are a WA resident, what you left with and what's new? How can you argue that you owned X number of 30rd magazines before the law was created if for some reason you got stopped coming back into WA? I'm not a legal expert but I know trash when I see it and these laws are bottom of the dumpster.
They wouldnt be able to easily tell for Wa residents returning, but Wa visitors have out of state plates and IDs. This is all if they even get stopped and do or say something dumb, or maybe they are target shooting in the woods or something. Its a given if any visitor uses their gun in otherwise lawful self defense.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews