JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Capital armory has silencerco sparrow in stock today. It will likely be sold out by tomorrow from what I've seen in the past. Not saying it's the best one or anything but it's well known and less expensive than many others.

There's very few suppressors in stock right now, so if you see the one you want in stock, don't hesitate to buy it.

I bought a 22 suppressor this morning when it came up as in stock. By the time I started placing the order, the site said only 8 of them were left in stock, and I'm sure they're all gone now.
Most places do not even seem to be taking backorders anymore. Places that are will not give out an ETA for them. Things are wild right now.

Slightly off topic, but why are silencers so much cheaper in UK, especially the lower end ones, like rimfire for £33? (£1 = $1.25)

For example:

Bruce

Slightly off topic, but why are silencers so much cheaper in UK, especially the lower end ones, like rimfire for £33? (£1 = $1.25)

For example:

Bruce
U.S. suppressors have a tendency to be massively over-engineered on account of being a consumable item that has to last forever due to the minimum $200 entry fee. If it were not for the NFA tax suppressors (especially rim-fire) could be $15 items that you throw out and replace after every few thousand rounds. Even modern baffle designs could be made of the cheapest stamped steel, and there are many other possible designs that could become viable with no restrictions. Hell, you could make single use suppressors that could only last part of a single range session out of literal trash.

But that minimum entry fee means that people want an item that can survive tens or hundreds of thousands of rounds, and any wear must be easily fixed without damaging the serialized part. This means heavy and expensive construction on top of the $200 tax, and any designs with any kind of disposable aspects have zero chance of gaining any kind of foothold.

So yes, it is unsurprising that places that do not have such asinine suppressor laws have much cheaper options on the market. If we want to see how cheap suppressors can really get we need to not only get them off the NFA, we need to get them considered an actual disposable, unserialized part like mags or ammunition.

U.S. suppressors have a tendency to be massively over-engineered on account of being a consumable item that has to last forever due to the minimum $200 entry fee. If it were not for the NFA tax suppressors (especially rim-fire) could be $15 items that you throw out and replace after every few thousand rounds. Even modern baffle designs could be made of the cheapest stamped steel, and there are many other possible designs that could become viable with no restrictions. Hell, you could make single use suppressors that could only last part of a single range session out of literal trash.

But that minimum entry fee means that people want an item that can survive tens or hundreds of thousands of rounds, and any wear must be easily fixed without damaging the serialized part. This means heavy and expensive construction on top of the $200 tax, and any designs with any kind of disposable aspects have zero chance of gaining any kind of foothold.

So yes, it is unsurprising that places that do not have such asinine suppressor laws have much cheaper options on the market. If we want to see how cheap suppressors can really get we need to not only get them off the NFA, we need to get them considered an actual disposable, unserialized part like mags or ammunition.
Or maybe they're expensive because they can be.

Also, the one he linked to is an airgun silencer.

Or maybe they're expensive because they can be.
Ummm, yes. And the reason they can be, and also cannot be cheap, is for all the reasons I listed above. . .

Also, the one he linked to is an airgun silencer.
If it were not for the NFA airgun and rim-fire suppressors could be largely interchangeable. Currently the NFA is the reason airgun suppressors in the U.S. basically have to be integral models, as a removable version could be used on low power firearms and therefor would be subject to the $200 tax.

Ummm, yes. And the reason they can be, and also cannot be cheap, is for all the reasons I listed above. . .

If it were not for the NFA airgun and rim-fire suppressors could be largely interchangeable. Currently the NFA is the reason airgun suppressors in the U.S. basically have to be integral models, as a removable version could be used on low power firearms and therefor would be subject to the $200 tax.
There are many models of removable airgun suppressors on the market in the us. They are cheap. They will not withstand powder burner pressures. They usually say "for airgun use only" on them.

There are many models of removable airgun suppressors on the market in the us. They are cheap. They will not withstand powder burner pressures. They usually say "for airgun use only" on them.
Link? I would be very surprised if this were the case (and was not some fly-by-night overseas dropship affair, of which we are seeing more and more blatantly ATF violating products). The ATF does not care if a suppressor can withstand the pressures involved. As far as they are concerned if it works even for one shot it needs to be licensed and taxed. Even a moderately beefy plastic design should be able to work for one or two shots out of a .22lr, thus rendering it illegal if they deem it to be attachable to a real firearm.

Link? I would be very surprised if this were the case (and was not some fly-by-night overseas dropship affair, of which we are seeing more and more blatantly ATF violating products). The ATF does not care if a suppressor can withstand the pressures involved. As far as they are concerned if it works even for one shot it needs to be licensed and taxed. Even a moderately beefy plastic design should be able to work for one or two shots out of a .22lr, thus rendering it illegal if they deem it to be attachable to a real firearm.
There are many examples just do a search.

There are many examples just do a search.
So I have been looking into this and the ATF maintains the position I have stated, that removable airgun suppressors are indeed NFA regulated devices. But they have been slapped down in court a few times. It looks like they are currently barred from enforcing this stance against the manufacturers, but no such provision exists to prevent them from going after the customers. There are multiple cases of people being prosecuted for possession of an NFA item for having a removable airgun suppressor. Some of those have succeeded and some have failed. The courts are willing to take the sum totality of the circumstances to make a judgement, but the common thread seems to be if it was plausible that the suppressor could be used on a real firearm the courts will side with the ATF. The bar for convictions could be as low as "do you own both a real firearm and a removable airgun suppressor?" That does not seem to be a horribly good bet to make, but if you feel otherwise knock yourself out. Honestly I am pretty shocked that these are in production here given the current state of the law and ATF enforcement on the issue.

So I have been looking into this and the ATF maintains the position I have stated, that removable airgun suppressors are indeed NFA regulated devices. But they have been slapped down in court a few times. It looks like they are currently barred from enforcing this stance against the manufacturers, but no such provision exists to prevent them from going after the customers. There are multiple cases of people being prosecuted for possession of an NFA item for having a removable airgun suppressor. Some of those have succeeded and some have failed. The courts are willing to take the sum totality of the circumstances to make a judgement, but the common thread seems to be if it was plausible that the suppressor could be used on a real firearm the courts will side with the ATF. The bar for convictions could be as low as "do you own both a real firearm and a removable airgun suppressor?" That does not seem to be a horribly good bet to make, but if you feel otherwise knock yourself out. Honestly I am pretty shocked that these are in production here given the current state of the law and ATF enforcement on the issue.
Cliff notes

The removable ones are made with plastic baffles and simply can't handle the pressures of real guns (including .22).

I had one airgun with a metal baffle suppressor that was permanently installed on the barrel. The guy who made it went through a long process to show atf it couldn't be removed without destroying it. Having done all that, the suppressor was completely worthless at reducing sound Imo and the guy who made it completely wasted his time. I think it had only a couple baffles but can't really remember. I got rid of it cuz it was too loud.

The removable ones are made with plastic baffles and simply can't handle the pressures of real guns (including .22).

I had one airgun with a metal baffle suppressor that was permanently installed on the barrel. The guy who made it went through a long process to show atf it couldn't be removed without destroying it. Having done all that, the suppressor was completely worthless at reducing sound Imo and the guy who made it completely wasted his time. I think it had only a couple baffles but can't really remember. I got rid of it cuz it was too loud.
The ATF does not care that shooting through it will destroy it. Their rule is if it can reduce the sound signature of one shot by one db it counts as a suppressor. U think duct taping a plastic water bottle to the end of the barrel could probably accomplish that.

The ATF does not care that shooting through it will destroy it. Their rule is if it can reduce the sound signature of one shot by one db it counts as a suppressor. U think duct taping a plastic water bottle to the end of the barrel could probably accomplish that.
I didn't say anything about what the atf cares about. I stated facts about the airgun suppressors.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top