JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been researching a ton to try and find what I want as my first shotgun for clays. IMO what I've found is that a lot of British or overseas shooters praise and love Benelli, but here in the states berettas seem to get the nod for semis usually due to better recoil. Is my assumption true? Why is this? Not that I've seen overseas shooters talking down on beretta semis they just seem to LOVE Benelli.

Fit , as in how does the firearm fit you...is very important with shotguns.
Fit is also very subjective...and extremely personal.

I would suggest that you....
Try as many different shotguns as you can to see how they fit you.
Buy the one that fits you , and how you shoot...
And not wonder / worry 'bout what others shoot or like.
Andy

Last Edited:
I just went thru this and my take is that it's kind of a Ford Vs Chevy thing. Both are good shotguns so more or less whatever you want should be good to go. The Berettas are gas operated so have more moving parts, cost a little more but kick less. The Benillis are recoil operated so are easier to maintain ,cost a little less and kick a little more. I decided on a CZ Drake over and under the cost was about half of the semi's and was very highly rated as a good starting place.

I just went thru this and my take is that it's kind of a Ford Vs Chevy thing. Both are good shotguns so more or less whatever you want should be good to go. The Berettas are gas operated so have more moving parts, cost a little more but kick less. The Benillis are recoil operated so are easier to maintain ,cost a little less and kick a little more. I decided on a CZ Drake over and under the cost was about half of the semi's and was very highly rated as a good starting place.
Depends on the model. The Beretta M2 is different than the M4.

Ive had 2 Berettas now. An AL391 and an A400 xcel multitarget. both gun have given flawless performance on the trap range. I looked at both Beretta and Benelli and for the money i just felt like the Beretta had a bit more going for it the stock, the sights, and the overall feel of the gun.

beretta 3.jpeg beretta 2.jpeg beretta 1.jpeg

If you're going tactical, the M4 is hard to beat. It's like closing a bank vault and feels like a weapon should. Having also owned a Beretta 1301, there's no comparison; it feels toyish and light while the M4 inspires confidence. Tool-less disassembly of the M4 is another big plus.

For hunting setups or clays, I'll usually reach for my Italian Beretta O/U. I appreciate their more elegant firearms whereas I feel Benelli has perfected tactical shotguns.

Benelli is owned by Beretta and you can see a lot of similarities when you start comparing. Both are going to be good shotguns and I would look to go with what meets your requirements and fits you best.

Benelli is owned by Beretta and you can see a lot of similarities when you start comparing. Both are going to be good shotguns and I would look to go with what meets your requirements and fits you best.
It's a strange partnership; they're basically married but living separated. They still maintain their own facilities using their own workers/craftsmen. That's why you can still compare them as though they're separate companies.

All I know is, the marriage was detrimental to Benelli's customer service... Beretta has notoriously poor C.S. and now they have to authorize work on Benellis. It's also damaged Steiner optics...

More of a Benelli shooter here, though strictly for hunting, My Super Vinci is about the softest shootin semi shotgun I have ever ran, and that's saying something! I also really liked the Remington Versa-Max, but those are probably super hard to get right now! Another one would be the Winchester SX3 Semi, a damn fine working mans semi that shoots very well and is pretty soft on the shoulder!
I have a ton of time behind the butt of a Beretta A400 and hated it, it just felt cheap and I hated the gas system, and worst, ended up with a thumb full of stitches from the loading gate, that sucker bit into me and wouldn't let go, had to get an extra hand to help pry my thumb out of the god damn gun with out further tissue damage, then a pretty fast trip to the E.R. from the duck blind, boat and all in tow! I also had Benelli M-4 Blow a shell when cycling, it hit the loading ramp and went off outside the chamber, lucky for me, Nothing was in the path, three rounds later, it did it again, and the ammo was known good/good quality Kent Steel!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews