JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Didn't the little piggy go squealing all the way home ........;)
Welp, that explains it!

full.gif

My free 1955 Cadillac. With strings attached, it wasn't running. Right after I got back from Vietnam in 1972, this car was abandoned on a roadway near my parents home. It sat there for weeks. We finally looked up the owner, he said, "It doesn't run, you can have it, the keys and title are in the glove box." And they were. We dragged it home on a rope. The engine oil pan had two holes in it where the connecting rods on one crankshaft journal let go at the same time. I went down to the junkyard district and bought a used engine for $50 and we put that in.

I had the 55 Cadillac for several years early in my marriage. Because it was old and wore out, it wasn't the best car I ever owned. But it's been one of my favorites. Very hefty and well made, it was a quality ride. With the four speed Hydramatic transmission, it didn't do all that badly on fuel consumption for its weight either.

I could never figure out why Cadillac was still using ball bearings in the front wheels in 1955 when Ford had gone to tapered roller bearings way back in the flathead engine days.

The 55 Cadillac still had one of those big around, flat steering wheels almost like the bus that Jackie Gleason drove.

At the time I got married in 1974, I owned three cars. 1965 Mustang, 1957 Lincoln, and 1955 Cadillac. As we became more acquainted, I divulged this situation to my fiancée one car at a time. I thought she might think I was crazy for having three vehicles. More like she was amazed, because she grew up in a family that got along on just one car for the lot of them.

IMG_20240501_0001.jpg IMG_20240501_0002.jpg

The pictures were taken in front of a little wood frame bungalow that we rented when we were first married. It came with a little garage out back in an alley that had originally been built in Ford Model T days. Navigating the 55 Cadillac into that little garage was a job of work. Still, there was room in one back corner for a small, rude bench that I used for reloading shotgun shells.

On one of his shows, Redd Foxx once said, "I had a fitty-fo Cadillac. In seventy-fo." He might've been talking about me.

My free 1955 Cadillac. With strings attached, it wasn't running. Right after I got back from Vietnam in 1972, this car was abandoned on a roadway near my parents home. It sat there for weeks. We finally looked up the owner, he said, "It doesn't run, you can have it, the keys and title are in the glove box." And they were. We dragged it home on a rope. The engine oil pan had two holes in it where the connecting rods on one crankshaft journal let go at the same time. I went down to the junkyard district and bought a used engine for $50 and we put that in.

I had the 55 Cadillac for several years early in my marriage. Because it was old and wore out, it wasn't the best car I ever owned. But it's been one of my favorites. Very hefty and well made, it was a quality ride. With the four speed Hydramatic transmission, it didn't do all that badly on fuel consumption for its weight either.

I could never figure out why Cadillac was still using ball bearings in the front wheels in 1955 when Ford had gone to tapered roller bearings way back in the flathead engine days.

The 55 Cadillac still had one of those big around, flat steering wheels almost like the bus that Jackie Gleason drove.

At the time I got married in 1974, I owned three cars. 1965 Mustang, 1957 Lincoln, and 1955 Cadillac. As we became more acquainted, I divulged this situation to my fiancée one car at a time. I thought she might think I was crazy for having three vehicles. More like she was amazed, because she grew up in a family that got along on just one car for the lot of them.

View attachment 1873954View attachment 1873955

The pictures were taken in front of a little wood frame bungalow that we rented when we were first married. It came with a little garage out back in an alley that had originally been built in Ford Model T days. Navigating the 55 Cadillac into that little garage was a job of work. Still, there was room in one back corner for a small, rude bench that I used for reloading shotgun shells.

On one of his shows, Redd Foxx once said, "I had a fitty-fo Cadillac. In seventy-fo." He might've been talking about me.
:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR