JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Posted in the wrong thread earlier, so reposting here. Sorry for the duplicate posts.

We went back yesterday, and did a clean up of Lane 2. Worked about 4 hours and then did some shooting. Stashed 4 bags behind the sign. There's still some work to be done at Lane 2, but we got most of it. There are 4 bags stashed behind the wooden sign. I marked them as NWFA cleanup, so that nobody mistakes them for dumped trash.

Graffiti on the back of the wooden sign, as well as on the back of the concrete barrier. Some 22 size holes in the sign. Some of the info signs have weathered to the point of being unreadable, especially the smaller text. You can see that if you zoom in on my pic.

One recent fire remnant at Lane 2, right at the entry between two big rocks. I scattered all wood and obscured the worst of it. It occurs to me that collecting and removing downed wood from the area might be one way to reduce the fires.

Got one photo that was noteworthy to me as it has such a wide gamut of trash in it -- casings from shotgun, rifle, pistol & 22LR, a candy wrapper, a cigarillo butt, a piece of glass, a piece of plastic, and the peel of a fruit, which I thought was a balloon at first.

It was "show off your big toys day at the range" day. At least two different lanes had the telltale birdsong of fully automatic birds. Someone was dumping quite a bit of $$$ at Lane 1. One of the guns at Lane 1 sounded like a pretty big caliber for full auto. Very impressive.

Not as big as the one that showed up at Lane 2 just as we were packing up, though! When two guys drove up and asked if we were leaving, I invited them to park and start setting up as we finished up our pack out. Glad I did, because those 2 were super nice and invited us to watch the inaugural shooting of their brand new $12,000 Barrett 50 BMG. Really nice father and son duo. We stuck around for an extra half hour just hanging out with them chatting and experiencing the incredible noise and pressure wave that comes off a round that large -- new to us. WOW!

Guy at Lane 1 fired off a mighty burst in response to the Barrett's first shot. LOL!

Really nice that we got to enjoy a bit of community out there, as we were all alone most of the day. One of the two guys made a similar comment about us, which was very much appreciated!

Didn't get a chance to look at Lane 1 or drive up past Lane 2 yesterday. I wanted to go take a look up at the road past the range, but it was 2pm and we were starving, so didn't get to do that either.

Got some more cleanup pics for ODF.

Photos of the Barrett and owner posted with his permission. Got a cool slo-mo video of it firing, but will need to figure out how to get that uploaded.

Attachments

• tempImage60gAmc.png
    tempImage60gAmc.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 14
  • tempImageiCOSx8.png
    tempImageiCOSx8.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 12
  • tempImagePattOF.png
    tempImagePattOF.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 12
  • tempImagevb6w5O.png
    tempImagevb6w5O.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
  • tempImagetcODCz.png
    tempImagetcODCz.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 13
It's a lot faster to make piles and then bag the piles than to bag as you go.

Attachments

• tempImagePpYBsK.png
    tempImagePpYBsK.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • tempImagegZvhoL.png
    tempImagegZvhoL.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • tempImageHreBCp.png
    tempImageHreBCp.png
    4 MB · Views: 11
  • tempImagex2Musn.png
    tempImagex2Musn.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 12
  • tempImageRzkgVC.png
    tempImageRzkgVC.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 12
Bagged/Tagged. Lane after cleaning with our target out there in the middle. Winner of the Big Gun of the Day award.

50 cal was firing into the berm, not the hillside. You can see the impact point behind the target!

Attachments

• tempImagea3TqIb.png
    tempImagea3TqIb.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • tempImageF3764T.png
    tempImageF3764T.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • tempImageNtwX3S.png
    tempImageNtwX3S.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 21
  • tempImageDnaLCZ.png
    tempImageDnaLCZ.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 22
Videos are best uploaded to youtube and linked here, you can mark them as un-listed, so they don't show up to people searching or suggested on youtube.

Yeah, that was a critical move, @toast ! The committee tour was to happen today and your effort really helped I'm sure. I like how you tagged the bags! I hope they saw them and realized that stewardship happens there.

The new signage is all printed and ready to go. I've got new paint for the jersey barriers and plenty of solvent for the rock graffiti (I'll be bringing the pressure washer and 30 gallons of water).

As for the dump over the ledge at lane 4, I've got a sled we'll lower down with a rope. Set the bags & trash inside and we'll pull it up.

I'll also bring the off-road trail wagon with a Jet sled on it to help haul stuff long distance from lane 4.
Untitled 9.png

So thanks a bunch Toast!

We made it through inspection!!!

The comments were positive!

I wanted to know what the State Forestry Advisory Committee said about their tour of Wolf Creek Shooting Lanes yesterday, so I joined their Forest Grove meeting today via Zoom. Sat through the entire 6 hours, just to hear if there were any discussions about target shooting. Only a couple of comments, at the beginning.

After introductions, they commented on their tour. One person asked a good question: "Where is enforcement of the rules?" Reply from ODF was they work with WA County Sheriff's office. Nothing more was said.

Another person commented she was impressed at how clean the lanes were and it's good to see user involvement. She even thanked me for my efforts!

There was also an off-the-wall comment saying why not make money off these lanes! Charge a fee or require permits? ODF should be making revenue from this! She chuckled while saying it, but I sensed she was trying to drop a hint in hopes that others would agree and start a conversation about it. Nothing further was said.

And that's all that was said about target shooting! The rest was all about the Forests Management Plans, like logging, aquatic, wildlife, eco management and private properties that boarder state lands. But I stayed on thinking the subject may come up later. It didn't.

So, I thank all who heard the call, made the effort and chipped in to help clean up things at the lanes and up Wolf Creek Road. It made a difference! You rocked it!

Next Saturday, the 25th, we'll finish our mission and really put the lanes in good shape!

Thanks everyone!

Bill

We made it through inspection!!!

The comments were positive!

I wanted to know what the State Forestry Advisory Committee said about their tour of Wolf Creek Shooting Lanes yesterday, so I joined their Forest Grove meeting today via Zoom. Sat through the entire 6 hours, just to hear if there were any discussions about target shooting. Only a couple of comments, at the beginning.

After introductions, they commented on their tour. One person asked a good question: "Where is enforcement of the rules?" Reply from ODF was they work with WA County Sheriff's office. Nothing more was said.

Another person commented she was impressed at how clean the lanes were and it's good to see user involvement. She even thanked me for my efforts!

There was also an off-the-wall comment saying why not make money off these lanes! Charge a fee or require permits? ODF should be making revenue from this! She chuckled while saying it, but I sensed she was trying to drop a hint in hopes that others would agree and start a conversation about it. Nothing further was said.

And that's all that was said about target shooting! The rest was all about the Forests Management Plans, like logging, aquatic, wildlife, eco management and private properties that boarder state lands. But I stayed on thinking the subject may come up later. It didn't.

So, I thank all who heard the call, made the effort and chipped in to help clean up things at the lanes and up Wolf Creek Road. It made a difference! You rocked it!

Next Saturday, the 25th, we'll finish our mission and really put the lanes in good shape!

Thanks everyone!

Bill
Thanks for all your effort Cogs and everyone that made it out for this mission. I had too much on my plate to join in, but I plan to be there on the 25th to help with phase two.

From your notes on the meeting, it sounds like mission accomplished as far as the tour. Going forward, we just need to keep doing what we can and hope we can spread the word when we have the opportunity.

That's awesome, aside from the lady wanting to charge us to shoot on our land lol.

Turns out I took more trash out than I thought. On the bright side, I get new tires now... Hoping they arrive before the cleanup on the 25th!

Well, I would be willing to pay a small fee as long as it ALL went to more development of the shooting area and @Cogs was in charge of the funds!
I'm sure it would never happen. Even though there are lots of areas that are public land and the govmnt charges you just to park your car and get out to look around for 10 minutes. Eventually the Tillamook will probably be the same way.

I'd be happy to pay a fee if the funds were going towards a gate and a designated agent to lock and unlock it daily, before someone who isn't even allowed to legally shoot at night blows it for all of us -- either by burning the place down shooting tracers & incendiaries or by simply being careless with a campfire on the wrong night.

(This is, of course, a very sensible problem to have to address because, hey, who wouldn't choose to camp in a lead dust filled shooting pit / trash dump when they are surrounded by a half million acres of beautiful, pristine forest?)

That's not what a fee would go towards though. :s0092: :( :s0107:

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top