JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
US gun magazine producer to leave Colo. over gun laws
Published January 02, 2014FoxNews.comFacebook124 Twitter190 LinkedIn3
cologunsinternal.jpg
July 24, 2012: A Palmetto M4 assault rifle is seen at the Rocky Mountain Guns and Ammo store in Parker, Colorado.REUTERS
One of the largest producers of gun magazines in the U.S. is leaving Colorado because of its new gun laws and moving its operations to Texas and Wyoming.

Magpul Industries, based in Erie, Colorado, announced Thursday that it was moving its production, distribution and shipping operations to Cheyenne and its headquarters to Texas, making good on a vow it made to leave Colorado during last year's heated gun control debate.

In 2013, the company took out a newspaper ad stating it would leave should the state pass a ban on high-capacity magazines and add-ons for semi-automatic rifles.

The Democratic-led Colorado legislature and Gov. John Hickenlooper last year enacted a new law prohibiting the sale of gun magazines with more than 15 rounds. That and other new gun restrictions also led to the recall ouster of two Democratic state senators.

The company says its corporate headquarters will likely be in north-central Texas but an exact location hasn't been determined yet.

Colorado is not the only state to have gun manufacturers threaten to leave over gun legislation. In 2013, Beretta USA threatened to move its Maryland manufacturing plant – along with roughly 400 jobs – after Democratic Gov. Martin O’Malley began a push for one of the most ambitious gun-control agendas in the country.

Executives claimed they had grown weary of the state’s attitude on guns and reportedly backed up their threat by pointing out the company moved a warehouse to neighboring Virginia in 1990 when Maryland previously tightened gun laws.

Meanwhile, Texas Gov. Rick Perry and South Carolina Rep. Jeff Duncan, both Republicans, have invited gun makers to relocate to their states, promising no unwarranted government intrusion into the business.

So Magpul is finally announcing what we already knew was happening - moving the bulk of the operation to Cheyenne. The only "new" thing and the reason it has taken so long for the announcement is the relocation of their HQ. The Cheyenne move makes sense as it allows current employees to keep their jobs with a little commute or minor relocation (figure about 45 min north from most of their prior manufacturing locations) as well as a plentiful number of new workers available. Guess the long delay was them waiting to see what the best deal was tax wise for moving HQ.

Thank You Magpul for Voting with your Feet!!

[email protected]

I sent this....

Congratulations on the follow through in relocating production, distribution and shipping operations to Cheyenne and headquarters to Texas. I applaud your making the point for all Colorado to see by voting with your feet.

You have earned my lifetime loyalty!

Sincerely,

Dunerunner
Siuslaw River, Oregon

I don't see why Colt doesn't clear out of CT, either. Their laws are now unbelievable for being a state which participated so fiercely in the armed revolution against the British.
Never had any doubts Magpul was anything but serious as a heart attack, They know us, and that a bluff would not go over.

They still sell to .gov....sure this is great...but if a 30 rd. Mag would be illegal
for a US citizen to own....they would still honer .gov contracts. Yea magpul way to
Stand up for the 2A.

another thing I have to say I applaud magpul for was moving CO residents to the front of the line for orders placed before the CO ban and even having several "parking lot sales" until they could no longer sell there - have to say I love that they probably doubled or tripled the number of "high cap/standard cap" mags in the state before the law went into effect. (even if it did delay my mags that were on back order a week or two)

I don't see why Colt doesn't clear out of CT, either.

In an ideal world all of the firearms companies would move to firearms friendly states and take their jobs with them. The reality of business is that it would be very difficult and probably prohibitively expensive to move a heavy manufacturing company with machine tools as old as the company to a new location. A skilled workforce is another consideration. Magpul moved their manufacturing just across the border so most of their trained staff can commute. Any move by the companies on the east coast would be much more tramatic for the equipment, staff, and financial bottom line.

Until we as consumers stand up and tell the Colt's, Remington's, and Kimber's of the world that we won't buy from them until they move, it won't happen.

I applaud Magpul for taking a stand and following through regardless of the financial hit they undoubtedly took.

I haven't bought a Colt since their sellout last century

Colt Halts Weapon`s Sale To Public - Chicago Tribune

Also, please note when you hear that rat William Bennett on today's conservative talk shows trying to re-invent himself that he was the admins tool in that import ban. Sean Hannity is another phoney baloney, blowing with the winds. He was rabidly anti semi auto back then and likely still is, secretly

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top