JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Is A Laser Useful On A Long Gun Like An AR?

• Nope, keep is simple and use the savings for ammo or booze

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Yes, you can't have enough options

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Ditch the light and just get a laser like all the cool kids

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
I'm going to purchase a pair of Streamlight TLR RM 2 weapon lights likely during Black Friday sales that will happen shortly.

These lights come with or without a built in laser that can be use with the light or by itself. The laser also is adjustable for sighting in. It does not add notable weight or bulk. It does add about $100 to the cost.

w/o laser
1700096958356.png
with laser
1700097000562.png

A laser is alright on a long gun, but you want it Green not red. Can't see red in sunlight
I have a green one you can see at 100 Yds. in daylight.

Visible laser is literally slower. In order for a visible laser to be used on a target you have to look at the target, see the laser light on the target, reflecting off the target, back to your eye. Now obviously the speed of light is what it is, but different clothing colors can absorb the light spectrum better than reflect it, so that "looking for the laser dot on the target" adds time based on human reaction and ability to see the light.

Compare that to a red dot, the dot is super-imposed on the target. No "looking for the dot required."

Main benefit of the laser is the ability to shoot from non-optimal position. For example. You could hold it without looking down the sights and be more confident where the bullet is going because of the laser.

Can be used for signaling others to "look over here" well though, but then you are also pointing your gun at what you are signaling to.

Infrared lasers are a different story.

Yes they are !
Visible laser is literally slower. In order for a visible laser to be used on a target you have to look at the target, see the laser light on the target, reflecting off the target, back to your eye. Now obviously the speed of light is what it is, but different clothing colors can absorb the light spectrum better than reflect it, so that "looking for the laser dot on the target" adds time based on human reaction and ability to see the light.

Compare that to a red dot, the dot is super-imposed on the target. No "looking for the dot required."

Main benefit of the laser is the ability to shoot from non-optimal position. For example. You could hold it without looking down the sights and be more confident where the bullet is going because of the laser.

Can be used for signaling others to "look over here" well though, but then you are also pointing your gun at what you are signaling to.

Infrared lasers are a different story.
Yes they are !

Yeah, nah.

IMO, if you want to help your target out by revealing yourself..then sure, get the laser. If it were a peq and you were using NV, then I'd say sure go for it.

Save your money my friend. Nice streamlight btw.

I have a laser and light on my 9mm AR. 16" barrel and set up perfectly. It is very bad bubblegum at night in the woods, I'm looking for big foot and would like the opportunity to show him my combo!

Laser co-witnessed to a scope, red dot and/or irons makes it easy to change sighting system without a range trip.
The laser adds almost no weight/bulk to a weapons' light.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews