JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a "free" DVD from the NRA in the mail the other day. It's something about self defense.
All I have to do is send it back in the prepaid mailer if I don't want it after viewing it. Or I can keep it for only $13.95.
I think I'll keep it and not pay the $13.95 since I didn't request it and this type of pushy marketing pisses me off.
What about you other NRA members?

I got one last year. They kept pestering me so I sent it back. I also asked to not have marketing materials sent to me.

I like the fact that the NRA is a huge backer of MOST gun rights. The fact that every other week I receive another piece of mail asking for money is really starting to rub me the wrong way. I suggest people start sending a few of those dollars towards the Oregon Firearms Federation instead. I really like that with the OFF there is "No Compromise" when it comes to supporting our gun rights

I'm so tired of the NRA I cancelled my membership.

Wayne LaPierre decided to NOT fight legislation that was clearly bad but congress decided to make the NRA exempt if it passed.

So they pulled in thier horns and went home leaving us to fight without them.

They are much like AARP.

T_H

The DVD was apparently sent to you unsolicited as it was to me. I called and told them that, no, I wasn't going to return it because I did not order it, and, no, I would not pay them the $13.95. The customer service person was not very "nice" at that point, conceded that I was correct, and took me off the list for future unsolicited "gifts".

Same happened to me last year. Never sent it back. Calls from NRA regarding where's their money were simply *60'd on my phone.

Good effective bunch, lousy marketing, aggravating money-making tactics.

This is an old scam. You don't owe them anything.

I quit the NRA for a few years over unwanted solicitations. Then I discovered their "Do Not Promote" list. I called and asked how it worked, and if it would eliminate all solicitation. It does. I'm once again a happy member, and SPAM and junk mail free.

SAF, on the other hand, has no such option available, and it's like pulling teeth to get yourself off of their many lists. It took me three tries, and I finally succeeded only after using the term "attorney" in a calm but somewhat pointed manner. It is beyond me how such an organization can have such difficulty understanding the concept of "I just want to be left alone", but so be it. They will receive no more donations from me. NRA-ILA gets that money now. It's a shame - SAF does great work - but they have to learn somehow. I don't contribute to CCRKBA either, since they are headquartered in the same complex as SAF, leading me to believe they are closely connected.

This is an old scam. You don't owe them anything.

I quit the NRA for a few years over unwanted solicitations. Then I discovered their "Do Not Promote" list. I called and asked how it worked, and if it would eliminate all solicitation. It does. I'm once again a happy member, and SPAM and junk mail free.

SAF, on the other hand, has no such option available, and it's like pulling teeth to get yourself off of their many lists. It took me three tries, and I finally succeeded only after using the term "attorney" in a calm but somewhat pointed manner. It is beyond me how such an organization can have such difficulty understanding the concept of "I just want to be left alone", but so be it. They will receive no more donations from me. NRA-ILA gets that money now. It's a shame - SAF does great work - but they have to learn somehow. I don't contribute to CCRKBA either, since they are headquartered in the same complex as SAF, leading me to believe they are closely connected.

I also politely asked NRA to not solicit money from me, and that I would send what I could, when I could. No problem, I don't get any solicitations from them any longer. As far as being "left alone," if more people felt that way, our rights would be in greater peril than they already are. If you just want to own your guns without any "hassles," then you are part of the problem. Those law suits to preserve the Constitution are expensive. SAF is a very activist oriented organization and silly them, they probably thought their members were as well.

If you're not willing to pay for the fight, then just exactly what are you willing to do, besides sit around and complain about those who are? We don't need any more "sunshine patriots."

I also politely asked NRA to not solicit money from me, and that I would send what I could, when I could. No problem, I don't get any solicitations from them any longer. As far as being "left alone," if more people felt that way, our rights would be in greater peril than they already are. If you just want to own your guns without any "hassles," then you are part of the problem. Those law suits to preserve the Constitution are expensive. SAF is a very activist oriented organization and silly them, they probably thought their members were as well.

If you're not willing to pay for the fight, then just exactly what are you willing to do, besides sit around and complain about those who are? We don't need any more "sunshine patriots."

I don't think you quite get it. Perhaps you assume too much. I still donate to NRA-ILA - more now, in fact. I volunteer on weekends as an NRA instructor and RSO. I attend 2nd Amendment and other political activities on a regular basis. I serve on the board of a gun range. I donate to a few different 2A organizations, along with others promoting smaller government. Why? Mostly because I just want to be left alone, and as you put it, "own [my] guns without any 'hassles'".

If "more people felt that way", our rights would be in less peril. Donating to SAF is not, by any means, the only way to support our cause, and they ignore that to their detriment, as do you.

Willing to pay for the fight? Did you not read the part where the money that I used send to SAF now goes to NRA-ILA? You're familiar with that organization, right?

I have a response ready for your "sunshine" comment, but it would not be appropriate in this venue.

With all of the donations that they receive, SAF could easily implement a feature similar to the NRA Do Not Promote list. They simply choose not to. My experience has been that if you send them one penny, they will make it their cause to never stop hounding you. They can remedy that situation at any time. I'm waiting, and so is my checkbook.

When you are done with your personal attack, the subject here is the NRA DVD scam. I've provided a way to avoid annoying nonsense like that and still support them. I would have hoped that you could have contributed to the discussion in a similar manner. If you wish to further discuss the SAF and their shenanigans, you might start another thread. Or I can. Just say the word. I have more to say about them, but it does not belong in this thread.

They sent me some patriotic history DVD that i didn't want. I was intent on returning it, but i neglected it for a few months. I eventually called them up because i lost the return envelope, and they said they'd already written it off. The trashcan is closer than the mailbox, anyhow.

Log into the NRA website (with your member number). Go to preferences and opt out of any mailings. You won't get anymore of that junk. All I get now are election ballots for the board of directors and American Rifleman magazines.
I wish they'd spend less on mailings pestering members for more $$ but it is what it is.

Thanks for the heads up about the Do Not Promote list, I was considering canceling my membership over the same issue.

I found they mention it in the Membership FAQ:

Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?
A: Simply email us at [email protected] or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.​

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top