JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Kewl. I may go because it is in Sherwood and NOT Portland
I went. Mostly a bunch of newish Jeeps and Toyotas. Some were actually setup for Overlanding, but I didn't see anything special among those - IMO.

Otherwise:

There were a couple older Toyotas - pickups and Land Cruisers. A CUCV with a comm shelter(?), but besides a Willys (or was it a Ford) WWII era Jeep, that was pretty much it for military vehicles.

There was a Tacoma (IIRC) that had a Cummins 6BT shoehorned into it, another (I forget if it was a pickup or a 4Runner) with a VW TDI (I assume it was a 1.8) that was nicely done. A 2WD IH large truck and what looked to be an imported Japanese(?) fire truck. A new Husky (510?) and some new Yamaha Teneres.

Oh, and a Tesla Cybertruck looks as ugly in person as it does in photos. Not sure why anyone sane would want one, but there it was. A Rivian too - which is okay, if you have the $ to afford it.

Was it like this? ebay783030.jpg

Or this?
9188341868_05ccaf541d_b.jpg

Edit. The above is apparently the ambulance version and not a comms vehicle. My apologies. Edit 2. The ambulance version could make a decent overland rig with some modifications

Shoulda taken pics of the interesting ones if you could :) the CUCV with comm shelter sounds real interesting
It was an older diesel one with a 3 spd auto and the shelter didn't have anything special in it. The wheels were the interesting thing to me - huge beefy things (although only 8 lug).

The IH truck looked to be (IIRC) a surplus FS "crummy". Not sure why it was only 2WD though.

There was a F250 with a Scout brand habitat on it. I had hoped to see more rigs with habitat boxes on them, but there was just the F250 and CUCV IIRC. I suppose I should go to one of the big Overlanding shows.

I am thinking of getting either a habitat by Hiatus Campers or a surplus S280 shelter. I have not seen any of the latter west of the Rockies though. There is one in Illinois that looks to be in great shape, but I would need to have it shipped here: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/s280-shelter-camo-like-brand-new.219458/

My truck isn't in shape to do interstate travel.

Was it like this? View attachment 1870954

Or this?
View attachment 1870955

Edit. The above is apparently the ambulance version and not a comms vehicle. My apologies. Edit 2. The ambulance version could make a decent overland rig with some modifications
It was the bottom one with the AC attachment on the front of the shelter. But the wheels were not like that - they looked like they came off a HMMV or even something larger.

The whole EV and backstory scam is crumbling. The American and foreign auto industries are in a world of hurt.
No one is buying EVs except for the face diaper crowd these days.

In 2-3 years when the Cybertruck owner is driving down the street, he will be openly mocked. The whole "I'm rich, but still virtue signaling and better than you" vibe is a fail.

SO an update on my little end of the world rig. I got my hard top for the Willys to the point it can be used. I still have some detail work to do and need to get it painted but its a secure dry windfree top. That evidently weighs a LOT as my rear springs ended up FLAT with it on the Willys. So I am about 1/3 of the way towards switching from the most likely made in India springs to a set of 1355lb each 10 leaf military wrap springs from Dayton Spring (yes MADE IN THE USA) should raise my butt up off the ground a bit. The springs at rest have about a 1/2" more arc then the originals which will end up under my Off road travel trailer I should get serious about building come this fall.

yqZuXKu.jpg

7M1TB4R.jpg

The top is constructed of 1" square tubing and Micarta with 1/8" aluminum riveted over the tubing. Then .040" aluminum sheet has been BONDED with JB Weld to the 1/8" to make it smooth and hide the rivets (you can see this as the doors have no been skinned as of yet) The windows are 1/4" abrasion resistant Poly Carbonate (50 times hard to break then auto glass) The top is insulated with 1" of Pink foam board and has a full interior complete with various storage compartments and other amenities. The Willys now has in its comm suite Cell/ GPS/ CB/ GMRS and once we start adventuring far and wide I will add a Garmin inReach sat texting unit. The large windows give excellent visability.

Now in the back of the Top I have built a setup for camping directly out of the jeep with a Kitchen Cooler Water storage and above the platform everything from folding cots and tent even rifle cases will be able to be lashed down.

deG6HRQ.jpg

7m1xfN5.jpg

I have a huge first aide kit which fits perfectly on the side of the platform as well as the required travel bar

The cooler is small at about 24 qt's of food storage and is a dry cooler the Ice and Dry Ice will be kept in 1qt wide mouth square plastic jars so that when melted the water can easily be added to the fresh water supply jugs. There is also a smaller 5 qt Lunch cooler right behind the console that can be accessed while moving to reduce the number of times the main cooler is opened. The main cooler has between 1.5 and 2" of Pink Foam board insulation with a layer of Mylar heat blanket inbetween the layers of insulation. (so its basically as well insulated as a $600 Yeti but cost about 30 bucks to make. Empty it weighs about 3lbs.

I have the Pioneer tool rack set up to carry two 5.2 gallon fuel cans (giving me approx 340 miles of range at 60mph) my Spare tire, a 2 ton come along, shovel, Saw, Axe, water buckets. Also shown is my little 5lb propane tank and mount. The tire carrier can be swung either direction if need be,

In the under seat tool box I carry spare fuel pump, complete ignitions system (except the actual distributor) spare bulbs, Tire repair kit, Jack, Tire Iron, complete tool kit, A 500 watt inverter, electrical repair parts, spare throttle cable and extra cable clamps, Hose clamps, radiator hose repair pieces, nuts and bolts, Spare fuel filters, Fan belt, A Lithium Jump start battery, and a whole bunch of other might need items.
In a tray area of where the Water jugs are kept is where I keep all the vehicle fluids Oil, Antifreeze, gear oil, brake fluid along with some car care stuff.

The jeep has a 145PSI air system to include a Viair 400c compressor and 2) 1 gallon air tanks along with all the hoses and fittings I need. Jumper cables are carried in a separate pouch. I also have a complete recovery equipment pouch with tow straps shackles and various items to get me unstuck.

Once I get the tiny off road travel trailer finished I'll be set for adventures of all manner.

Its tiny but capable.

Last Edited:
The whole EV and backstory scam is crumbling. The American and foreign auto industries are in a world of hurt.

In 2-3 years when the Cybertruck owner is driving down the street, he will be openly mocked. The whole "I'm rich, but still virtue signaling and better than you" vibe is a fail.

You're not openly mocking them already?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads