JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thats what I always thought about the Open-class shooters with their highly modified completely impractical race guns and uppity schmuck attitudes with zero sense of humor. That's what took the fun out of it for me.
And that his where the IDPA shooters came from - at least in my part of Texas. It was easy to say that you can show up to a IPSC match and ignore the open class guys, and shoot your own agenda. But when everything is geared towards race equipment and shooting the fastest possible time, and you can clearly see that you are being judged, squaded and befriended based on your gear and how you shoot, it is also easy to feel unwanted and unappreciated. So when someone comes along and says we are going to change the rules and shoot with concealed carry street gear, it is not a hard choice when filling our your match calendar.

I became a happier shooter when I gave up shooting qualifiers and only attended on the regular weekend matches. I would like to get back into it a bit. But my early 1980's Clark .45 Pin Gun (with the Keithville LA address on the slide) and Ernie Hill leather holster, Wilson mags and my worn-out Galco leather mag carriers with the green verdigris on the snaps might date me a bit. :)

Almost one year since I posted this. Probably went to 8 matches throughout the year, got a new gun, had some good placements including a 3rd place overall amongst 60 shooters. Having a blast every month!

Almost one year since I posted this. Probably went to 8 matches throughout the year, got a new gun, had some good placements including a 3rd place overall amongst 60 shooters. Having a blast every month!
What matches have you been at? I go to the USPSA at Dundee and Albany each month. Very well run and worth the drive.

What matches have you been at? I go to the USPSA at Dundee and Albany each month. Very well run and worth the drive.
I attend the Practical Pistol matches at DRRC. The club is 10 minutes from me so it's a no brainer. I have friends that are members at Dundee and I've been considering attending one of their matches. Whenever I do, I'll let you know.

What is up, everybody?

So, I "pulled the trigger" and signed up for my first shooting match.
Going to the Practical Pistol at DDRC on April 1st.
Any advice is welcome as I have zero experience with competitive shooting.
What to take? How many rounds? What to expect?

Attached is the picture of the gun I pretend to use.

View attachment 1388787
When u go tell them your a new shooter. Carefully listen to instructions so u dont DQ. They will take care of u from there. 300 should do.

So what can you tell us about your journey from your 1st match till now? Was it what you expected? Did any of the advice given to you here on the forum prove to be valid or helpful? Do you have any advice for new shooters looking to shoot their 1st match?

So what can you tell us about your journey from your 1st match till now? Was it what you expected? Did any of the advice given to you here on the forum prove to be valid or helpful? Do you have any advice for new shooters looking to shoot their 1st match?
It's been an amazing journey! I started with a Glock 34 and on my third match I switched to a Springfield Prodigy that has recently been decked out and I have since switched to Open Division. At DRRC, shooting Open means shooting against Staccato XC, XL and occasionally one or two race guns and the Prodigy has been doing fairly well. I got some good placements and have improved tremendously! My first match I ended up in 29th out of 53. My best so far was 3rd out of 50. I haven't been DQ yet (knock on wood). I have met very good people and learned a lot of new things. I have been helping as RO for the last few matches which adds another skill to my shooting curriculum. I encourage anyone to try it out, come with whatever gear you have and invest on it if you decide you like it. Your shooting skills will improve a lot and you will make new friends. Bring 300+ rounds! It's better to have more than to not have enough. Check the weather before you go and dress accordingly. Other than that, just go and have fun!

IMG_0545.jpeg IMG_0542.jpeg

I've seen new competitors not understand the rules about firearms and ammunition not being together until you're in the shooting box. You can reload magazines at any table, but don't have your gun out at the same time. If you have to do something with your gun, there are safety areas set up just for that. No ammo at the safety area.

Ask questions. Most people there will be happy to help you out. Remember that this is a participatory sport. Everyone helps with taping targets and resetting steel.

After you've watched others shoot a stage, you should be able to come up with a good plan of your own. However, for many of us, the preplanning is forgotten the secend the buzzer goes off! :D
What is the best practice for carrying mags, ammo and gun? I will also be going to my first match in June.

What is the best practice for carrying mags, ammo and gun? I will also be going to my first match in June.
At DRRC, the rules there are pretty simple. First, get to the safe table, get your gun out of your bag/case, holster it and put it in your belt/waist.
After the gun is holstered and on your person and you are out of the safe table you can't touch it anymore until you get to the stage and it is your time to shoot. Out of the safe table and with the gun holstered you are free to load your mags, put them on your belt/carriers, etc… Mags and ammo are ok anywhere other than the safe table. Gun is ok at the safe table and forbidden anywhere else. That's pretty much how it works.

At DRRC, the rules there are pretty simple. First, get to the safe table, get your gun out of your bag/case, holster it and put it in your belt/waist.
After the gun is holstered and on your person and you are out of the safe table you can't touch it anymore until you get to the stage and it is your time to shoot. Out of the safe table and with the gun holstered you are free to load your mags, put them on your belt/carriers, etc… Mags and ammo are ok anywhere other than the safe table. Gun is ok at the safe table and forbidden anywhere else. That's pretty much how it works.
Oh okay that simplifies it a lot thank you!

Are you allowed to bring preloaded mags or must they be loaded on the actual range?

Many people have a range bag with ammo, magazines, mag loader, water, tools, and anything else you need to bring. I have a separate pistol pouch that I throw in there with my pistol. Once at the range, I put on my gun belt, and then remove the pistol pouch from the range bag, and take the pistol pouch to a safe area. Remove the gun, do an inspection, and then holster the gun. That way there is never a worry about having both ammo and the firearm out together. You can then load magazines inside the bay at your leisure.

Do the same after the match. Throw the gun into the pouch while at a safe area and then take care of everything else. The goal is to only have one person at a time with ammo in the gun, and that's the person in the shooting box, and only under supervision of the RO. It's a pretty simple concept and is one of the steps that helps keep the sport safe and enjoyable.

Oh okay that simplifies it a lot thank you!

Are you allowed to bring preloaded mags or must they be loaded on the actual range?
I take them full but load them there is not a problem. Keep in mind you will most likely load your mags a few times throughout the day so taking them full saves that first loading time.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top