JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The old school war movies don't seem realistic to me.
My list would include :
Saving Private Ryan - this one ruined me for liking the old movies and I don't relish the idea of watching it again due to its realistic nature.
Greyhound - good depiction of the North Atlantic convoys although "Hollywoodized" in some regards
Platoon - my favorite Viet Nam movie
Hell Below - The Smithsonian Channel series - I think the best submarine warfare portrayal.
Documentary/re-enactment of actual war patrols.
My dad went to church with a gentleman that stormed the beaches at Normandy and he told him that the Omaha beach scene in Saving Private Ryan was very accurate in its depiction of the carnage.

Not sure of this is considered a war movie. Its probably my favorite Stallone movie
1715785400216.jpeg

Weird stuff (again) from Spitpatch:

Son of the Morning Star (probably the best-written account of the Battle of the Little Bighorn), and a made-for-tv movie that was very well done. VHS only if you can find it.

Siege at Firebase Gloria. Wanna see R.Lee Ermey on the perimeter carrying two soldier's heads and lecturing his troops how not to become one? Kind of a cheaply made movie, but graphic as hell.

Go Tell the Spartans. Another economically produced 'Nam flick. Burt Lancaster (as a young Vietnamese girl approaches his platoon): "Anybody f*ck her yet? Somebody ought to." Based on a novel by a war correspondent.

Soldier Blue. Candice Bergen at the very peak of her allure. Graphic account of the US Army's treatment of the Indian population, roughly centered on the Sand Creek Massacre.

Das Boot. German submarine warfare in WWII. Based on a true account by one of the few Captains to survive the war. In a theater with surround sound, it will terrify you as much or more than the sailors appear to be, awaiting the next depth charge detonation. Best seen in its original German dialogue (you will be surprised to fully understand just about all of it). Then watch it again (if you can stand it) with subtitles. Dub-overs are always confusing, and something significant is lost.

Siege at Firebase Gloria. Wanna see R.Lee Ermey on the perimeter carrying two soldier's heads and lecturing his troops how not to become one? Kind of a cheaply made movie, but graphic as hell.
Firebase Gloria is a grunts movie - made by grunts for grunts.

Before he passed away, I'd heard R. Lee was trying to buy rights to distribute the movie, reformat and promote it all anew. No idea how far he ever got.

I wouldn't classify them as "Favorites" or "Entertainment", but here are a few on the topic of Children and War. Some are theatrical, others are in a documentary format.
***CONTENT WARNING***
Beasts of No Nation - 2015
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas - 2008
First They Killed My Father - 2017
War Witch (Rebelle) - 2012
Monos - 2019
Johnny Mad Dog - 2008
Returned: Child Soldiers of Nepal's Maoist Army - 2008
Mao's Red Guards (many options and opinions)
Children of ISIS - 2015
Ballad of the Little Soldier - 1984
and on and on...

One I'd really like to see, but could never track down on physical media, nor the Intratubes, is Playhouse 90's adaptation of Alas, Babylon. It starred Don Murray, Kim Hunter, Rita Moreno, and a young Burt Reynolds, among others. If anyone knows where it can be watched, the info would be great.

Last Edited:
One I'd really like to see, but could never track down on physical media, nor the Intratubes, is Playhouse 90's adaptation of Alas, Babylon. It starred Don Murray, Kim Hunter, Rita Moreno, and a young Burt Reynolds, among others. If anyone knows where it can be watched, the info would be great.
That is not likely to happen unfortunately.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top