JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One of my first 30-30 bolt guns was a JC Higgins without a serial number. Lots of those old catalog guns didn't have serial numbers. As a matter of fact, it's a great way to generally date a gun. No serial number/ Then it's a pre-68.
While researching my dad's JC Higgins Model 20, I found out that Sears used to print the catalogue number on the gun and if there were any changes to that gun, the catalogue number would change.
Found out that Dad's Model 20 was the original version from the late 40's, which fits in with a story my mother used to tell me about her going pigeon hunting with my dad before they got married.
Anyway, if you don't know the age of your gun and it's a Higgins (or an early Ted Williams gun), look for the sears catalogue number on the gun (three digits, "dot", two digits). Depending on how long that version of your gun was made, it should get you close to the gun's year of manufacture.

Last Edited:
I received another missive from him. I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt that this is a different rifle than mentioned before, but there is a .30/30 lever-action (not bolt) marked as a Western Auto Revelation 200. Google results are telling me these were Marlins marked for the aforementioned company.

Any specifics on these? Search results indicate some of these were made pre-68; is that correct?

Thanks all.

P.S. Yes, pics would be better. Thus far I've only seen grainy shots of the aforementioned lever-action.

I received another missive from him. I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt that this is a different rifle than mentioned before, but there is a .30/30 lever-action (not bolt) marked as a Western Auto Revelation 200. Google results are telling me these were Marlins marked for the aforementioned company.

Any specifics on these? Search results indicate some of these were made pre-68; is that correct?

Thanks all.

P.S. Yes, pics would be better. Thus far I've only seen grainy shots of the aforementioned lever-action.
Rebranded Glenfield 30A, which was a budget version of the 336.

Last Edited:
Back in the day MANY inexpensive rifles mostly .22 cal had no serial numbers I have a Winchester model 121 single shot bolt with no serial number it was at the time their bottom of the line .22. I know for a fact Winchester Savage Stevens and Mossberg all had rifles with no serial numbers. There can be no legal trouble because where you get into trouble is for removing numbers. If they were never put on you are doing nothing wrong.
A lot if not all of the beehive remingtons had no serial no. as well.

So, my sister-in-law is aiding a close friend with wrapping up the estate of a deceased relative. Said so departed, evidently, had a decent sized gun collection. Friend doesn't want them. Sister-in-law, though a gun owner and handgun carrier, is ambivalent. Brother, naturally, is very hip to the idea of acquiring these guns and has tapped his duly licensed hermano to handle the legal/regulatory bullplop surrounding transfer between states, etc.

I just got a message from my youngest brother asking about essentially "an old .30/30 bolt-action with no serial number or other markings". I told him if it was pre-1968, which is certainly possible considering the vintage of the other guns and the advanced age of the recently passed, and I explained to him that aspect shouldn't pose a regulatory SNAFU, provided it is that old.

Now I'm curious: any idea what he's looking at? I just asked him to look again for a model number. (This particular brother isn't a gun nut like some of the other siblings, but he's far from gun dumb either, so I suspect his report is correct.)

Thanks!
If the rifle is a Savage and has a scope mount attached to the side of the receiver, the serial # may be covered by the mount.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews