JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am 20 and I was thinking of purchasing a CZ-75 come tax return time. Now, originally I thought this was impossible and that you had to be 21 period unless it is given to you as a gift, but someone informed me that I could purchase one through a private face-to-face sale. It is only illegal if I try to buy it through an FFL. Is this true?
https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors166.html
If I'm interpreting these laws right, 166.250-270 seem to cover the possession and 166.410 up cover sales; I believe I am good to go, but I'd like to make sure before I accidentally cause someone to commit a felony.

Be aware that a lot of people will be leary (sp?) of selling someone under 21 a handgun. Best to make sure they are informed of the laws, and make sure they're comfortable with the sale before you go face to face.

I researched this recently when another 20-year-old wanted to buy a pistol from me. I even called the State of Oregon office that does the "instant-checks" and got their opinion.

A person under 21 can only own a handgun in Oregon if it is bought by an adult and then received as a gift. A minor cannot purchase a pistol legally, even in a face-to-face sale, without breaking the law.

Now, it's easy to say, "In a face-to-face sale, who is going to know?" But remember how many people want to take that freedom away from us! There could be a decoy sent by Handgun Control or the ATF to bust private sellers and to get dirt to campaign against our rights with. There could simply be collegians researching a paper on "gun control" or the lack thereof! Even paranoids have real enemies---and I have seen this same question on other firearms messageboards---somebody might be fishing.....................elsullo :s0131:

I don't know anything anymore! I searched through the statues to find the one I remember, and could not find it.

I DID find that Oregon defines a minor as "under-eighteen". I did NOT find any prohibition against anyone eighteen and over owning or buying a handgun, NOR any prohibition against anyone, dealer or private, from selling a handgun to anyone eighteen and over.

This is new to me and not what I remember, unless the laws have changed recently. I am cross-eyed from reading the statutes and have a big headache too! I must conclude that the Oregon State Police gave me faulty legal advice on gun sales!

Does anyone else know what I am talking about? Evidently I no longer do!......................elsullo:huh:

FTF in Oregon for anyone 18 and older is ok for any gun!!!

Dealers are governed by the ATF, we cannot sell any gun unless it is a shotgun or rifle to 18-20 year olds.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top