JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I did 60 days up in ptown for work in the wooflue era, I found 1 good breakfast burrito truck in the pearl district. Good food but it was a terrible area. I couldn't imagine living in that hell hole
To each their own. I can walk to four grocery stores, three bookstores, two theaters for movies, three live music venues, a library, like 60 restaurants with some being really phenomenal and relatively inexpensive, three record stores, probably five decent coffee shops and my work commute is seven blocks. I don't mind strangers and weirdos. Only thing I'm missing is a decent surf break and I have to drive to shoot. I am 6'5" in decent shape and not even slightly intimidated by the occasional crazy homeless person. Frankly they're pretty freaked out by me.

To each their own. I can walk to four grocery stores, three bookstores, two theaters for movies, three live music venues, a library, like 60 restaurants with some being really phenomenal and relatively inexpensive, three record stores, probably five decent coffee shops and my work commute is seven blocks. I don't mind strangers and weirdos. Only thing I'm missing is a decent surf break and I have to drive to shoot. I am 6'5" in decent shape and not even slightly intimidated by the occasional crazy homeless person. Frankly they're pretty freaked out by me.
Ya definitely to each there own.....I can walk a 100 yards on my property and see grouse, deer, elk and occasional bear and couger. Spring and fall I can pick mushrooms, deer hunt and shoot off my back porch. I don't want weirdos on my property. Keep Portland weird and keep it up there, far away from me. Have you thought about moving to California? Ya might fit in well and there is surfing

Ya definitely to each there own.....I can walk a 100 yards on my property and see grouse, deer, elk and occasional bear and couger. Spring and fall I can pick mushrooms, deer hunt and shoot off my back porch. I don't want weirdos on my property. Keep Portland weird and keep it up there, far away from me. Have you thought about moving to California? Ya might fit in well and there is surfing
I'm an east coast transplant from western PA. I spent time in the blue ridge part of VA as a kid, HS in Pittsburgh, college in CA, f&@%ing around on Kauai, then OR for more school. Portland is legitimately the only place on the West coast that reminds me of home with the bonus of the Cascades close by and the beach not far. Portland is expensive-ish, but anywhere I'd want to live in CA —ie near the water—is simply ridiculous. The costal spots that aren't super urban are lifestyles of the rich and famous expensive or are constant fog, sharks and meth-heads.

Sure if I hit the lottery and could afford a spot in Northern Santa Cruz County, or the Ocean Beach neighborhood of San Diego II might consider it. I'd hate the magazine and other dumb firearms restrictions but I've lived there enough to know that, like everywhere, there are lovely folks who help make life good and crappy folks to avoid. I understand the draw of rural life—I've done it—and have nothing against it, but it's not for me.

If it seemed like it,I wasn't meaning to show disdain for your opinion, because it's valid. There are places in this town that if was forced to live I'd move. There are rural areas and small towns that would be awesome places to live. At the same time Portland is not the poophole that it's reputation on here suggests, and there are some serious positives that make me feel pretty lucky to live here.

Last Edited:
View: https://youtu.be/8PTovCIa4c8?si=8pN00eTh0H6IplUS

Aloha, Mark

PS......BTW.......
Have you noticed that the Dollar Menu is no long available at MCD?
So Yeah......I head that they are offering a $5 Meal combo.
Then, yesterday......
I got a foot long Subway sandwich BYGO FREE. You might have to sign up and use the app.
And today.......
I got 12 glazed doughnuts for FREE from Krispy Cream. I downloaded the app and signed up for an account. Then, I went into the store here in Vancouver. Showed the girl my bar code and got 12 glazed doughnuts for FREE. OK, Ok, ok.....I felt kind of guilty. So, I bought 6 extra doughnuts while I was there.

1715405928331.png

Last Edited:
We go to the Applebee's here fairly regularly as the food is (to me) FAR better than any fast food and price is about the same. Any time we find some new "Mom &Pop" shop we will try them out. The problem with them tends to be LACK of service. Its damn hard for for a small place to hire help because it costs so damn much here. Wife and I went for a drive down to another county yesterday to eat at a small local place. Food was GREAT, and again service almost non existent. When we were done Wife had to go in the back and chase down someone to come give us a to go box and let us pay the damn check. I will probably try them one more time but if its like that again? It will be the last time. Couple weeks ago we did the same thing. Went for a drive, stopped at a small place her Dad used to like to go to. Same thing, come time to pay I had to go outside, in the back, to find the "help" so I could pay. Treat people like that then wonder why they can't make a go of it. :(
No doubt, for those on the go, too time consuming. But when possible, I just assume the extra time, and enjoy that time relishing that I am supporting a business that aligns with my ideals. I'm on a small island, but I really hate giving my hard earned money to these mega-corps.

Man, I don't get the Applebee's thing. Feels like sit-down restaurant waiting but for fast food quality. SO and myself now go to Mom and Pop style diners (those that are still around), taverns/taphouses/brewpubs or whatever. Negligible difference in cost for better quality IMO. Rather spend my money locally. Kudos for scratch cooking and saving money!

That's a good way to describe how we thought about them. I got a $100.00 gift card from an acquaintance that I did bunch of work her mother that had passed away. We tried Applebee's twice. Once for dinner. I pictured their kitchens with a bank of microwave ovens and a big freezer. And the lunch visit was a burger patty on an open bun with toppings on the side to put the burger together yourself. I gave the card to some folks living in their car.

Greasy plastic spoon lovers rejoice.

The dumbasses really think that low income people quit eating at McD's because they couldn't afford it? :s0140: How about the amount of food for the price quit being worth it? And our tastes related to price situation is we WON'T afford it, not that we can't.
McD's is the only fast food we do now. The other places screwed up one time too many. These days we do it no more the twice a month. Same with a divey bar & grill for dinner no more than twice a month. Real beef, roast beef, chicken breast, fresh salad from a bag, fresh made. No bags of glop spooged out and reheated.

Wifey got the app for McD's on her phone and you get deals to order that way.

Upcoming Events

Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top