JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't feel like I'm not well enough equipped to stop a thread when I carry a 9mm, but I do feel better equipped when carrying my .45 :)

Different strokes for different folks. Theres pros and cons to every caliber, but I own and carry both a 9mm and a .45, and heres my .02cents.

A .45 is a larger caliber bullet that generally fires at a slower speed, thus creating your stopping power. The downsides might be recoil, limited mag capacity, larger handle for double stacks, and cost of ammunition.

A 9mm is a smaller caliber, but fires at a higher velocity. Basically, its 2 different ways of doing the same damage (as long as you're using proper ammunition, it shouldnt be an issue). The added bonus with a 9mm is less recoil, and generally you can put 2-3 rounds or even more at a high rate of speed, and stay on target. The cons: a .45 is always a .45, but your 9mm hollow point might not expand, therefore doing less damage and not putting maximum shock into the target. This is usually the biggest arguement between the two calibers. But 9mm is cheaper to shoot, and therefore you might get more training out of it because you wont be as worried with the cost of ammunition. Dont buy a handgun for carry that you cant afford to shoot and train with!

All in all, I prefer the 9mm for these reasons:
-Im ridiculously accurate with my sig 229 in 9mm.
-I have smaller hands, so its more comfortable.
-Less recoil, and I can put all 13 rounds on center mass as fast as I can pull the trigger at 15-25 yards.
-Higher mag capacity than my glock 30 or a 1911.
-Cheap to shoot, so I train with it the most.

For those curious, I carry a Glock 30 in .45. I love the gun. Its simple, reliable, and accurate, but Im not as accurate with it as my 9mm. At the end of the day, most of my confidence is in my sig, and I think confidence is an overlooked asset.

Hope this helps!

-Matt

I don't feel like I'm not well enough equipped to stop a thread when I carry a 9mm, but I do feel better equipped when carrying my .45 :)

I should say that Im not a 9mm fan boy, and at the end of the day, a .45 should always do more damage than a 9mm. But its irrelevant if you cant hit the target in the first place :winkkiss:

Shot placement > caliber ALWAYS!

Plenty of good 9mm defense ammo. Plenty of good .45 defense ammo. You have to hit what you are aiming at, this takes a lot of practice. Not really much difference between 9mm & .45cal if good defense ammo is used. 9mm got a bad rap in the U.S. because of the FBI shootout in Miami years ago. Actually if you read the report the 9mm did what it was supposed to do. Lot of myth and hype about the .45 which is just that, myth. I shoot and own both caliber handguns. I used to practice with 250 rounds per week of .45 in my Colt 1911 to keep myself proficient. I find that I like 9mm better now with the advent of great defence ammo, much easier to control and cheaper ammo, lighter carry gun. Nothing wrong with 9mm. Spad

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top