JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am just going to say that public restrooms were the most hard part for me to learn. I just want to reiterate the wisdom of this.
I've found a technique that works very well for me with belt holsters. Hold the gun and holster as you sit. Refasten the belt so that your knees hold slight pressure against it, but it holds the gun upright. This will keep the gun from flopping around and falling out of the typical IWB holster. It helps with retention holsters too, keeping the gun from dragging the belt to the floor where it may be spotted by others. It also keeps it handy in case you need to draw while on the pot, which I'm assuming is a rare but embarrassing way to go. Whatever technique you use, as mentioned previously, practice it at home until you have it down.

I've found a technique that works very well for me with belt holsters. Hold the gun and holster as you sit. Refasten the belt so that your knees hold slight pressure against it, but it holds the gun upright. This will keep the gun from flopping around and falling out of the typical IWB holster. It helps with retention holsters too, keeping the gun from dragging the belt to the floor where it may be spotted by others. It also keeps it handy in case you need to draw while on the pot, which I'm assuming is a rare but embarrassing way to go. Whatever technique you use, as mentioned previously, practice it at home until you have it down.
I do pretty much the same thing with my nexbelt. Just a click or two, some slight knee pressure, and it's all good. And it's a fair bit easier than a regular belt.

I am just going to say that public restrooms were the most hard part for me to learn. I just want to reiterate the wisdom of this.
When Andy posted about having to use the restroom I remembered this thread.

Since we are talking about concealed carry, let's expand on that a bit. I am not going to discuss what you should always carry because it can change up according to your situation but a light and a folding knife are always a given. I watch a lot of ASP videos and constantly see people accosted on the street or public place for a robbery. You never draw from the drop so what do you do? IF you are in a sketchy place, getting gas, walking to a parking lot, even out on a downtown street, a flipper knife in hand beats about anything else. Most won't even know you have it and if they do, it's perfectly legal in almost every state. A robber comes up, distract, flip open in .25 seconds and get to work. If you can't stab and cut someone, best to leave the tools at home and hope for the best. Again, awareness and your state's use of force laws are paramount.

Since we are talking about concealed carry, let's expand on that a bit. I am not going to discuss what you should always carry because it can change up according to your situation but a light and a folding knife are always a given. I watch a lot of ASP videos and constantly see people accosted on the street or public place for a robbery. You never draw from the drop so what do you do? IF you are in a sketchy place, getting gas, walking to a parking lot, even out on a downtown street, a flipper knife in hand beats about anything else. Most won't even know you have it and if they do, it's perfectly legal in almost every state. A robber comes up, distract, flip open in .25 seconds and get to work. If you can't stab and cut someone, best to leave the tools at home and hope for the best. Again, awareness and your state's use of force laws are paramount.
Carry a one-hand-open knife on your support side so you have an accessible weapon if your gun hand is defending your gun.

A buddy of mine got jumped when using a urinal. He wasn't carrying, but got his crap stolen. For that reason I always use a stall when carrying - it mitigates a lot of security issues. As for how to retain it when in the stall, there are a bunch of different ways to approach it, and your holster choice will influence what is best. If you have a one- or two-clip holster, it's easy enough to detach the holster from the belt with the gun still in it and set it in your pants. For those who use solid loops, maintaining tension on the belt to keep it upright isn't a bad way to go. Yet another reason why having positive retention in a holster is important - if your holster flops over when you're loosening the belt, one without positive retention might let your gun fall out. Don't be that guy that has to chase his pistol across the bathroom floor while his pants are around his ankles.

I purchased my holster (phlster enigma) the day my permit was approved and had been dialing it in while wearing it in the house with an unloaded pistol.

Then I received my permit in the mail and Today was the day when I went grocery shopping, conceal carrying it for the first time. I called it my first dry run where the pistol was unloaded.

I practiced slow and firm draws from the appendix position and feel very comfortable but it has been with an unloaded firearm.

How do you mentally prepare yourself to start carrying with one in the chamber? Is there a slow transition to it?

Thanks in advance from a newbie
Depends on what model Gun you have, a revolver vs automatic, single vs double action. It all comes down to knowing and understanding how the action works.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top